2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2000 s10 4.3 4x4 ZR2 Questions and Conserns

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 12:18 AM
chaoticdopey is on a distinguished road
Default 2000 s10 4.3 4x4 ZR2 Questions and Conserns

Ok well i will be buying a 2000 s10 zr2 in a day or to with 175xxx miles on it and had a couple of questions
1. I noticed it has a throttle body spacer on it, what does that do?

2. After it gets to operating temp the oil pressure drops from 50psi to 20psi at idle and jumps back to 40 when i apply gas, is that fine oil pressure?

3. According to him, you can hear the 4x4 engage but it sometimes will not, what could that be?

4. Is it all right to go from the original Castrol 5w30 thats in it to Royal Purple 5w30 or 10w40 without any complications?

5. And LAST, at operating temp it has just a small tick, what could that be? a lifter? or what? and what could i use to get rid of it?

It dosnt leak anything as of this moment and it is freaking beautiful, i want this truck i just dont want to spend alot on repairs after just buying it. Thanks for any help guys..

Old 08-02-2011, 07:41 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

1. Not much on these engines. More of a placebo - "I installed a 'performance' part therefore I noticed a gain on my butt-dyno".

2. No problem there. Typical.

3. Front axle engagement - Check out the Tech Article (DIY) section for the 4wd related threads.

4. I wouldn't recommend jumping to a 40 weight oil. The engine was designed to use 5w30 for most climates & 10w30 if it is a really hot climate. You should be fine to use whatever oil you want to use.

5. You really need to track it down. A mechanic's stethoscope can come in real handy when trying to find the source of a tick/noise. It could be anything from a slightly sticking lifter to a small exhaust leak. Or you could just be hearing the injectors clicking away as they do their duty.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
1. Not much on these engines. More of a placebo - "I installed a 'performance' part therefore I noticed a gain on my butt-dyno".

2. No problem there. Typical.

3. Front axle engagement - Check out the Tech Article (DIY) section for the 4wd related threads.

4. I wouldn't recommend jumping to a 40 weight oil. The engine was designed to use 5w30 for most climates & 10w30 if it is a really hot climate. You should be fine to use whatever oil you want to use.

5. You really need to track it down. A mechanic's stethoscope can come in real handy when trying to find the source of a tick/noise. It could be anything from a slightly sticking lifter to a small exhaust leak. Or you could just be hearing the injectors clicking away as they do their duty.
well i dout its the injectors, he has the reciete for a Brand new Delco fuel injection kit, so it sounds more like a sticky lifter so i will pprobably use 10w30 royal purple as i do live in california and its about 90+ degs here and in winter go to 5w30, does that sound good? maybe the royal purple will help free the lifter if it is alittle sticky

Old 08-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Injectors tick, that is a fact. It is much harder to hear them with them in the intake plenum itself, but my comment was more to the fact that they make noise while working, not that the noise is associated with a problem.

Your owners manual should detail the temperature splits. If you top out at 90, you can run 5w30 year round I believe.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Injectors tick, that is a fact. It is much harder to hear them with them in the intake plenum itself, but my comment was more to the fact that they make noise while working, not that the noise is associated with a problem.

Your owners manual should detail the temperature splits. If you top out at 90, you can run 5w30 year round I believe.
and also does this look like a bad idea? it was pulling a 25 foot trailer threw mud, but when i test drove it tranny shifted smooth
and is it a good price for $3200 with no problems besides the 4x4 not engaging all the time on command?

at night here its around 60 degs out in winter gets to about 32+

Last edited by chaoticdopey; 08-02-2011 at 12:59 PM.