2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 blazer 4.3 possible intake manifold gasket leak

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Don,t no much is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 blazer 4.3 possible intake manifold gasket leak

Thanks to everyone who respond to my questions. My problem started with the lose of coolant with no visible leaks. I added coolant a few times before I noticed coolant in my oil. I talked to a mechanic that said it was a intake manifold gasket.I have removed everything from the intake except fuel lines,a steel line with steel braiding on it and AC compressor bracket. Is this a job someone could do with a little skill and a manual of [recommendation] AM i heading in the right direction. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks again

Old 01-06-2010, 04:14 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a tutorial from Dtips.com on how to do it.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It definitely sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Follow that article and you should be good to go!

Old 01-06-2010, 07:47 PM
Beginning Member
Leearchibald is on a distinguished road

also try handymanlyness.com there is a step by step and its not that bad i just did it to mine.

Old 01-07-2010, 02:03 PM
mhartzel is on a distinguished road

I did this repair last summer on my 99 with basic handtools in a garage with little light. It's a pain but very do-able.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:34 PM
Default 2001 blazer intake manifold gasket replacement

I have removed the intake, know I am working on gasket removal and cleanup. I have alot of small pieces gasket material down in the valley of the motor when I removed the intake. My question is how do I remove all this. Also alot of oil and coolant mixed together. Thank you to all who responds.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Shop vac. Soak up the oil & coolant with rags and then suck up the junk with a shop vac. In the future, you should lay rags down in the lifter valley before you start scraping at the gasket surfaces.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:23 AM
Beginning Member
Leearchibald is on a distinguished road

make sure you buy the revised fel pro gaskets they are much better than the jobber ones and you won't have to this again in 6 months

Old 01-22-2010, 09:57 PM

Thanks Swartlkk, I never scraped any gasket yet . It was gasket and some hard white plastic from the gasket in the lifter valley. I,am not sure if it fell off as i was removing the intake. I picked intake straight up then forward with not much problem. Is it unusual to have gasket material fall in the lifter valley, The gasket was really deteriorated. Thanks much

Old 01-23-2010, 03:02 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Yeah its normal and its not a big deal to clean up. Make sure you ball up some paper towels and stuff them down in the intake ports before you start scraping the gaskets too, you dont want any of that stuff getting sucked into your engine. Then when you are done cleaning, and going to remove the papertowels, spray some WD40 or something wet on them in the holes so they grab any dust as you pull the paper towels out of the ports. also if wont hurt to put some silicone along the front and back sides of the lifter galley just before you bolt the intake back down. And tourque the bolts from the inside outwards...

Quick Reply: 2001 blazer 4.3 possible intake manifold gasket leak