2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 Bravada AWD Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2014, 09:58 AM
Starting Member
ntjoe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by James Knight
Shortly after I bought my '00 Blazer Trailblazer the "service four wheel drive soon" message displayed. I had it diagnosed at the Stealer who said the module was bad and quoted $580 for the repair. First he said $380 for repair and when I said ok he said, Oh, and that didn't include $200 labor. I declined, got a rebuilt module at the parts store for $220 and it was literally a fifteen minute change. I will say it was worth the $95 for the advanced diagnosis. If everything else seems ok, check that module.
Thanks James....Since the encoder is about $150, I'll replace that based on what I have read in this post...the encoder has never been replaced so even if its not the problem, a 13-14 year old motor will likely have issues at some point so I can justify it as a precautionary replacement.

Old 08-31-2014, 10:55 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the Service AWD light would illuminate during the key on bulb test and I was also able to command it on with my scan tool.

Old 08-31-2014, 02:15 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Yes, the Service AWD light would illuminate during the key on bulb test and I was also able to command it on with my scan tool.
Interesting. Mine does not during bulb test at all. It has randomly from time to time, but not for some time.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:31 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If your light does not come on during the key-on bulb test, then there is a problem. It most likely is within the cluster.

If the light comes on at random intervals, I would suspect a cold solder joint somewhere in the circuitry between the main board of the cluster and the light itself.

Also, if the light is popping on, that means that the TCCM has stored codes. Now, if you have recently disconnected the battery and/or the TCCM, and the light hasn't popped on, even briefly since, then you likely will not be able to pull the stored codes because they probably haven't set yet. If you do not want to waste money, I would really try to get it to someone that has a capable scan tool that can read the codes from the TCCM.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:57 AM
Starting Member

If your light does not come on during the key-on bulb test, then there is a problem. It most likely is within the cluster.

If the light comes on at random intervals, I would suspect a cold solder joint somewhere in the circuitry between the main board of the cluster and the light itself.

Also, if the light is popping on, that means that the TCCM has stored codes. Now, if you have recently disconnected the battery and/or the TCCM, and the light hasn't popped on, even briefly since, then you likely will not be able to pull the stored codes because they probably haven't set yet. If you do not want to waste money, I would really try to get it to someone that has a capable scan tool that can read the codes from the TCCM.
Good point. The dealership can put it on the computer for me and we can go from there.

Thanks. I'll advise when I have more information.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:59 AM
Administrator

As I had sort of alluded to, I wouldn't recommend taking it to someone to get it scanned until you have seen the light pop on again. You want to make sure that a fault has been recorded if you are going to pay someone to hook it up. Dealerships are especially good at charging you a full hour of labor to simply plug in their scan tool, regardless of whether codes are there or not.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Starting Member

As I had sort of alluded to, I wouldn't recommend taking it to someone to get it scanned until you have seen the light pop on again. You want to make sure that a fault has been recorded if you are going to pay someone to hook it up. Dealerships are especially good at charging you a full hour of labor to simply plug in their scan tool, regardless of whether codes are there or not.
Ah, I understand. I will pull the dash and look for any obvious cold soldier issues as well as just look at general wiring that I can see to look for a break or weak line. Maybe I'll get lucky and find something.....

Old 09-01-2014, 11:38 AM
Starting Member

Ah bingo. I was only looking at the 4wd fuse in the truck, I failed to look at the ATC fuse in the engine compartment, I know... Dumb error on my part. It was blown and I replaced it, and now I get the service awd light on bulb test and then it goes out. Guess I need to take it for a ride and try to get the light to come on while running.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:02 PM
Starting Member
jmparker82 is on a distinguished road

If the light came on briefly then went out check the fuse again to see if there is a possible short that keeps blowing the fuse.

Old 09-01-2014, 06:46 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by jmparker82
If the light came on briefly then went out check the fuse again to see if there is a possible short that keeps blowing the fuse.
It's still good as I'm watching for the light in the bulb test. The thing that I am worried about is when I try to trigger the awd, such as hitting some dirt, that the fuse will blow instead of just throwing an error and triggering the light.

We'll see what happens....

Quick Reply: 2001 Bravada AWD Issues