2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2001 timing chain cover re-installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 04:22 PM
Beginning Member
CDJr is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 timing chain cover re-installation

I just bought a 2001 2wd Blazer and I replaced the timing chain and sprockets. But now Im having a hard time getting the cover back on without having to drop the oil pan. Is it possible? Or is there a trick to doing it without dropping the pan? Id sure like to do it without removing the pan but if its impossible, I guess I should send the wife to get more beer Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and have a great evening!

Old 05-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You will have to loosen the front of the pan to get the cover back in. It will not be easy.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:42 AM
Beginning Member

Thanky for the advice, Kyle...actually thats what I was attempting to do yesterday but even after loosening all the bolts (including the ones to the trans), it was all I could do to get that cast aluminum pan to drop even a quarter inch. I managed to squeeze the cover back on but was unable to get much sealant in the right spots but I went ahead and re-assembled it just to see if it ran smoother. So I guess Ill just hafta break out the hoist and yank the motor out so I can clean it and seal it up good and inspect or replace all the usual culprits like gaskets, main seals, freeze plugs, etc, cuz I hate leaky engines lol. On these 4.3's, do you hafta re-program or do anything to the ECM? Im not sure my Actron scanner is capable of that.

Old 05-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

About the reprogramming... In what regard are you speaking? If you replaced the CKP sensor, then you really should perform a CKP/CMP Variation learn procedure. It is not absolutely necessary, but if not done, you may get a code later on down the road.

I doubt your Actron scanner can perform this procedure.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Beginning Member

Well thats one of the codes I was getting at first, a P1345, which was a CKP/CMP variation so I changed the CKP sensor and it was still running rough. Thats when I decided to check the timing chain to see if itd slipped a tooth cuz the timing seemed to be off pretty good. The chain was stretched but didnt seem to be that bad but I changed it anyway since I had it apart. It still misses but the only code I get now is a random misfire. I put the original sensor back on...I guess I should check the CMP sensor too huh? Or do you think it may just need to have that procedure done? It misses pretty bad.

Old 05-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Administrator

This code should not cause a dead miss, but anything is possible if it is way out of whack.

Not sure if you saw this or not, but figured I'd post it anyway:
P1345 - Crankshaft Position [CKP] Camshaft Position [CMP] Correlation