2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2002 Blazer won't start. Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Jorgen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 2002 Blazer won't start. Fuel Pump?

Ok, I have done some reading around here trying to figure out why my fiances 2002 Blazer won't start. I am pretty sure that it is the fuel pump but I am looking for any other ideas before I go and dump money on a new pump.

I'll explain the situation a little:
It is raining and the damn Blazer won't start. When I turn the key I don't think that I hear the fuel pump whining at all but with the rain noise I can't be sure. I pushed a key into the schrader valve on the fuel rail after trying to crank and NOTHING came out like there was no fuel pressure at all (I think I pushed it in far rnough to spring some fuel out if there was pressure. I am going to go get a pressure gauge in a few minutes to check it out further and make sure things are really leading me to think it is that. I switched the f/pump relay under the hood with the fog lights relay or soemthing like that and tried it and nothing changed still didn't fire. When I was under the hood I did touch the wire from the Coil to the dis cap and could feel that it was sparking inside the wire (don't know if that is a good thing that I could feel the sprak through the wire) so I think it is getting spark. So does all this so far lead me to believe I am going to need to replace a fuel pump?

And if so does anyone have a good lead on where I could find a good online howto or info on changing the pump? I don't have the book on this car and just want to see what all is involved and if I shoudl just have her take it to the shop and get it fixed this week while I am out of town for business. Or if I should tackle this when I get home from out of town next weekend (as in fixing it in my condo parking lot). Tools wise and such is no problem just need to know how hard this is to get at.

Thanx for all the help anyone gives me, I have used this site 2 or 3 times for other problems with this blazer and I have been able to search things very easily and people have been very friendly and helpful when I have had questions like these.

Old 06-03-2007, 09:37 AM
Default RE: 2002 Blazer won't start. Fuel Pump?

Oh and I don't know if this matters but it is a 2002 2 door blazer.

Old 06-03-2007, 02:18 PM

Alrighty, well I got the pressure gauge to test the fuel pressure at the rail and get 0's, gauges doen't even move. When I had my faince out there to test the pressure I had her cycle the key without actually activating the starter and I heard somthing (head it very clearly from the top of the engine) that sounded like it was cycling on and then would gurgle some and it would then kick off after 2 or 3 seconds so I assume this was the fuel system trying to prime up. I am stumped here is this really just a completely fried pump that went from working fine yesterday to not evne providing any pressure today? She sasy she got a full tank of gas on thursday and that it shouldn't be low on fuel at all (Unless someone says that it would act like this if it was out of gass I believe that it has fuel.

So anyone, any ideas?

Old 06-08-2007, 10:44 PM

Well I finally got back into town after a business trip and got a chance to look this thing over again. Still am at a loss to what the problem is. it is getting 0 PSI to the fuel rail, is this common? and it is still making a little whining then a gurgling sound under the hood when you turn the key. I almost feel like it is something more electircal or something but maybe this is one way these crap *** pumps can take a dive. Ideas? Anyone?

Old 06-08-2007, 11:11 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't remember where the fuel pump relay is physically located but there are multiple relays next to each other...I think on the firewall passenger side(????), switch one of those around making note to replace if you find out that is the problem. Maybe do a search on fuel pump relay...if the pump not getting electricity then it could be the relay, oil pressure switch safety-cutout (if oil pressure drops then cuts fuel to save engine), could be some other sensor that is not working either a scan of the computer might reveal the direction to go if you can...

Old 06-09-2007, 12:55 AM

I did the relay moving around game and didn't get myself anywhere I guess tomorrow I will have ot devote some major time to finding this prolem.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:46 AM
kpmink is an unknown quantity at this point

Did u ever find out why it wouldn't start....was it the furl pump?

Old 06-11-2007, 01:49 PM

Nope not yet. I am probably going to tow the car to her parents house tonight and then go buy an fuel pump and see if I can get this fixed this week. Anyone have a good idea of the man hours for a skilled (reasonably) shade tree mechanic to do a fuel pump swap and will I have to drain/syphon the tank if I am doing this? I plan to pick up the manual for this car on the way home ro this evening so I cna have th steps just want an estimate of difficulty and time involved.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:16 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

What i wonder is did the blazer have any trouble starting before this. Like say for instance did it take a long time to crank or multiple times to turn over? If either of those im pretty sure that it would be a fuel pump issue. Especially with the relays making no difference im feeling that its the fuel pump. Have no fear though its not that bad to change. Here are the general steps to take it off (based on a 98 2 door).

Your gas tank is under the rear behind the rear axle. Its covered by a plastic scroud/cover. Go ahead and unbolt this. If i remember correctlythe tank will still be supported by other hardware but in case its not be prepared to support the tank with a floor jack. Set the cover aside go to the fuel door on the side of the blazer and remove the bolts holding thefiller neck to the body.After thatremove the retaining bolts to the tank with the jack supporting the tank. Slowly lower the tank a few inches to get access to the fuel lines on the top of the tank. With a flat blade screwdriver or a quick release tool remove the 3 lines taking note as to which goes where. Before lowering the tank the rest of the way the last thing you will need to disconnect is the ground strap on the filler neck. Remove the bolt connecting it to the blazer and then drop the tank the rest of the way. At this point you should have easy access to remove the pump. It comes out just by removing the snap ring on top of the pump and pulling the pump mostly straight out (watch for the pump filter). Insert the pump and reverse the process and you should be good to go.

Now these steps are as best i remember them and if im forgetting anything (akaBill and Kyle now is the time to chime in) please anyone add your words of wisdom. Should take you anywhere from 2-4 hours to do and really all you need is a good set of sockets with extensions and a few screwdrivers.

Old 06-11-2007, 03:25 PM

Well accordign to her it has never really had a major problem. There have been a few times that it has had to have a second turn of the key she said but nothing extremely common or reoccuring. She did also have a CEL on that was supposedly caused by a bad gas cap, so I replaced it a few weeks back and she said it came back on again and I hadn't been back to lookng at that again. So since there hasn't been a problem with starting are you thinking something else might be wrong? Also one time yesterday when I first hooked it up to a jump pack it kicked a littel like it was trying to start then just couldn't get going and from then on didn't kick andymore and was just being rotated by the starter. So Anyone any other ideas before I grab that fuel pump assembly out and go buy a new one for it. (Would like to knwo ti is not the fuel pump before I go spend like $350 on the part if there is ANYTHING else I shoudl try that is possible, likely and cheaper.) I have got to get this taken care of ASAP or I will have to buy a third car (fine with me) which will then be the blazers replacement ocne it is fixed and likely sold or turned into just a rarely driven third vehicle/winter car for me.

Quick Reply: 2002 Blazer won't start. Fuel Pump?