2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Abs help anyone??

Old 01-14-2015, 07:31 PM
Beginning Member
blueandwhite is on a distinguished road
Default Abs help anyone??

Hello to all
Long time reader of the site, first time posting.
So my problem:
I have a 98 blazer 4x4 automatic. A few months back Im driving down the road jamming out, I come upon a set of railroad tracks. As always I slow down for the bump, the rear wheels go over the tracks (pretty harsh bump) and BAM. I hear a electrical pop and my abs light is on.
When I get to a stopping point, pop the hood take a look around and come to find out my ABS fuse is blown the maxi 60 amp one under the hood. So I take it to the local advanced auto they read the codes and they are as follows from what I remember:

u1041- lost of ECBM communications....

This is from the main fuse being blown so no power to the ECBM??

c0235 - Rear Wheel Speed Signal Circuit Open

Not sure why this is... From what I have come to understand the rear abs sensor in this model blazer is run through the VSS however, I have no problem with my speedometer.

So back to my story, I also get a few 60 amp fuses. The fuse will blow as soon as you crank the vehicle and drive forward.

So I have checked, cleaned and cleaned again the ground on the radiator support.
I see there are two grounds there i have cleaned both, because im not sure which goes to which, but it didnt help. I have check for bad spots in wires.

Any suggestions or help? Bad ECBM? Anyway to test what maybe blowing the fuse???
Thanks guys

Old 01-14-2015, 07:42 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The 60 amp fuse goes directly to the ABS pump motor through a red wire. If the wire is shorted to ground, the fuse will pop instantly when you install it. Each time the ignition is turned on, the EBCM runs a self test. When the vehicle reaches ~3 mph, the speed sensor outputs are checked, and the pump motor is activated momentarily. If the motor is shorted to ground, it will pop the fuse.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:21 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the info.
I have traced this red wire and i find nothing wrong with it.
Could the ebcm have a short in the unit itself causing the fuse to blow??

Old 01-18-2015, 12:24 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

If the motor is shorted to ground, it will pop the fuse when the motor is activated during the self test.

Old 01-18-2015, 12:43 PM
Beginning Member

Correct, however could it short out inside the motor itself?
I cant find a short in any wire going to the ebcm, so im kinda at a loss. Unless that bump caused a connection clip to get jarred and cause the short.
Idk ill keep looking.

Old 01-18-2015, 01:15 PM

The red wire goes directly to the motor, (the motor is the only thing on the circuit). When you start the vehicle and put it in drive, if the fuse blows when you reach ~3mph, the motor is shorted out.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:52 PM
Beginning Member

So i said **** it and went and got a EBCM from the junkyard. one 60 amp fuse,4 screws, 4 connectors and 26 dollars later, Bam problem fixed. Thanks for the input.

Old 01-18-2015, 06:07 PM

Good job. Cheap fix!

Old 01-18-2015, 06:25 PM
Beginning Member

Yes thank the lord.
Hope this one doesnt get taken out by a railroad track.

I have heard that these EBCM(Kelsey hayes 310. The black top one) have issues with the soldering on the circuit boards.
Im gonna take this one apart, will report my findings

Old 01-18-2015, 06:47 PM

Be interesting to know what you find. Check the red & black terminals with an ohm meter, probably zero resistance

Knock wood, I have a 98 with the same EBCM and 225K miles. Bought it with 30K and never had one problem with it. Also have an 04 with the newer EBCM, no problems with that one either.