2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

2nd gen interior questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 12:04 PM
Starting Member
jayj99jimmy is on a distinguished road
Default 2nd gen interior questions

hope this is in the right section, sorry if it isnt. in my gmc jimmy center console there is a little coin dispensing thing and a cd holder that holds probably 8 or 10 cd cases. has anyone on here found (or even cared enough to look) for something to replace that cd holder with something more 2010+ era? such as just a pocket, or a gps mount, or something else? just curious, i dont care that much but would be nice to use that space for something more useful.

also, ive noticed in the 4 door blazers they have an overhead console thing with pockets for sunglasses, map lights, outside thermometer, compass or whatever is all in it. is it possible to install that into a 2 door model, or would it just be an insane amount of wiring? i obviously have power running to my dome light, which i would replace and run that wire to the dome light of the console, and i could re-route the map light wire from my rear view mirror into the map lights of the console, but what about the lcd screen and compass or whatever etc. probably a dumb question, if its not worth it then i dont care. i just think its a kind of cool thing.

thanks =P

Old 11-06-2011, 01:36 PM
mykeboy01 is on a distinguished road

Excuse my ignorance, but I didn't figure that the front ends of the 2-doors were any different than the 4-doors! You want the compartments, so you don't have a sunroof, I assume? I know that they make the "upper" center consoles for trucks with or without sunroofs, and in both base and LT configuration trims. Base has just compass and temperature. LT has trip info, like mileage estimates, distance to empty, average MPG...so on! You can also get one (in later years) with a homelink system (garage door opener built in), an onstar system, etc...I have a 4-door without a sunroof, so I have the full shebam of compartments!

I believe it is only like two or three bolts holding that bad boy up, and if you are bold enough, you can hold it up with some short self-tapping screws. You do need to wire for that compass (if you don't already have one in your mirror). It involves alot (tapping into the PCM). But if you are determined, im sure there is a way. Anything is possible, i suppose. SEARCH THE FORUM...I do remember seeing people upgrading their base setup to the LT system in a thread. That should get you on the right track!

The map lights, on the other hand, should only need the standard ground and live wires running to them, because they are push button controlled. A dome light is integrated in the console, so you can just replace the old one with the built in console one.

Good Luck ~Mike

Last edited by mykeboy01; 11-06-2011 at 01:39 PM.