2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

3 symtoms/issues happening in a snowball effect..sorry threads long but it was crazy!

Old 08-06-2012, 02:57 AM
Starting Member
Melrock83 is on a distinguished road
Question 3 symtoms/issues happening in a snowball effect..sorry threads long but it was crazy!

2001 blzr 2dr 5 spd RWD about 140k miles....we drove about 3 hr round trip first thing in the am and pulled his new boat home (not a big one or ne thing and didnt seem to have ne trouble at all)..dropped him and the boat at home to return and retrieve his other trailer and it didnt start 1st try as usual, didnt think ne thing about it....stopd at a friends house 20 mins away and when i went to leav after les than 10 mins it took several tries to get it started. would keep cranking but not fire as if not getn gas. stoped a few blocks over and got gas and it refused to start so many times i started thinkn i was stuk at the pump..finally it started and as i took off it bogged/sputtered and died on me but started right bak. It ran no probs at all (and had no issues while driving up to this point just didnt wana start)....but only got 3-4 miles before it sputtered/bogged down again and then began losing power (it was suddenly as if i was in neutral because it lost all pull), i had to downshift from 4th to 3rd just to get it to pull again. Once it seemed to have sum power again, nothing like normal, it sputtered and died. 45 mins later it started with nothing being found/fixed and went sputtering for maybe 2 miles when it lost power again and died....had to have it pulled home and aint started since. Fuel pump and filter is workin and new, pressure is fine at the shrader valve, no probs with guage readings, and has spark....has to b getn fuel and spark or else it wouldnt have started bak up that last time. It cranks and cranks but wont start....o and btw the last two times it did start i had to pump the gas pedal in order for it to not die. What the crap causes these things to happen in a snow ball type affect like that? It was as if it had to work up to dying on me by adding one symptom at a time.

Old 08-06-2012, 03:12 AM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Is it throwing a code? if so what is it.

But it sounds like a secondary ignition problem (spark plugs, cap, rotor) so if it were me i would try a tune up and ONLY USE AC DELCO! or Delphi lol. If you say the pressure is good at the spider then its more than likely one, if not all three of those

Old 08-06-2012, 01:53 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

1) Key ON, engine OFF, fuel pump running, what is the fuel pressure?

2) What is the fuel pressure 10 minutes after the pump shuts off?

Old 08-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Beginning Member
ynotsmyl is on a distinguished road

spray ether in it. if it starts and runs then it is a fuel delivery problem. as 97cherryblazer ask did you get any codes, is check eng. light on

Old 08-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Starting Member
Melrock83 is on a distinguished road

didnt give ne codes but after sitting in the driveway for almost 4 days now, my ol man went out late last night just to see what would happen if he tried starting it and the freakin thing started right up and ran fine like it didnt have a prob....so while it was running he once again checked the shrader valve and lo and behold at first it shot fuel as usual and then suddenly it bogged down and then BAM no fuel comin out of the shrader at all! so we think its the fuel pump, which was just replaced in March but obviously its time to take it back! if that doesnt fix it then we were leaning toward distributor or plugs or along those lines so Ill give updates as we go along and hopefully I will have good news lol

Old 08-09-2012, 06:00 PM
Beginning Member
jwalker1992 is on a distinguished road

well if it wasnt for not having any fuel coming out i was going to ask if you have changed the fuel filters im not 100% sure if it has two but i think so if its stoped up it might not want to start and would run like crap i had an f150 that would sputter sometimes and not run right turns out it was just the filter its cheep and simple to check and see so why not take a look anyway..

Old 08-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

You need to put a feul pressure tester on it and find out what the fuel pressure is, and if it passes the leakdown test. It might be just a poor electrical connection somewhere. Gotta diagnose it before throwing parts at it blindly.