2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

my ducts are not working correctly

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 08:57 PM
Renthorin is on a distinguished road
Default my ducts are not working correctly

Not sure how else to describe the problem. I start the truck...drive around a while with the heat or a/c (both have the problem) blowing out the dash vents.

A while later...no air flow at all even though the blower is still happily blowing.

A little later...here comes the air again.

It's as if the vents stop blowing for a while then open back up again.

Thoughts?

Will

Old 11-26-2010, 10:37 PM
Starting Member
robertr728 is on a distinguished road

The ducts are controlled by vacuum. There is a vacuum reservoir under the hood. Check the vacuum lines to it and other vacuum lines also. Do a search you will find your answer.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:17 AM

Yeah I read a bunch of threads but didn't see any where the problem would come and go.

I'll dig around a bit today if it warms up above 20 degrees.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:14 AM
Peco is an unknown quantity at this point

I have somewhat of the same problem. I'll be driving around with the heat on set to the lower vent setting and then for no reason the dash vents will start blowing heat and no heat from the lower vents. After a min. or so it will go back to the lower vents. When this has happened I've tried changing the controls and nothing. I was thinking it must have something to with the vacuum?!?

Old 11-27-2010, 10:27 AM

Strange thing if it is a vac leak is my cruise works all the time. I would think that would cut in and out as the vents change position too.

Assuming it is a vac leak. Why do the vents start working again after a while? I think my truck is possessed

Everything works fine when the truck starts...just goes bad after 15 minutes or so.

It is almost 25 degrees. I'm going to run the engine for a while to warm things up and go snooping.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Get yourself a vacuum gauge and 'T' into the main vacuum line to the HVAC control module under the dash. Monitor the vacuum while you drive.

Do you have the manual or automatic HVAC system?

Old 11-28-2010, 05:20 AM

automatic system

Where is this vac line located?

Old 11-28-2010, 09:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is under the passenger side dash. Pull the lower hush panel and look for some multicolored plastic vacuum lines.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:39 PM
Beginning Member
stanitis is on a distinguished road

Your Cruise Controll is Electronic so, it will not affect that. Therefore You shouldn't allow that to mess with your thought/trouble shoot process.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:58 PM
Starting Member
Bengineer is on a distinguished road

I have the same problem with a 1999 Blazer 4.3L. Everything works fine with heat or AC then it's like a damper shuts after 15 min. The blower is still operating but no air delivery. Why would the vacuum system start to malfunction after a period of time rather from the get go?

Found a thread with some schematics...

https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...hvac+schematic

Last edited by swartlkk; 11-29-2010 at 07:57 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.

Quick Reply: my ducts are not working correctly