2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97 Blazer wont start... Changed the Fuel pressure reg

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 03:11 PM
Beginning Member
Edelbroke is on a distinguished road
Default 97 Blazer wont start... Changed the Fuel pressure reg

I bought a 97 chevy blazer 4dr 166,000mi. and it wont start. I'll start with what I've done so far...

I disconected the fuel line from the fuel filter. First on the engine side, turned the ket on, fuel shot out. Then took the filter off, turned key on, same amount of fuel comes out, very good flow.

The fuel pump makes the normal buzz so I assume its working correctly, (because I get fuel out of the line by the filter)

I did take the gas tank out to inspect the pump, the filter sock on the bottom is clean.

This engine has the spider injector set up. I did pull the upper intake off and replaced the fuel pressure regulator. I do have a few questions about the regulator... I installed the regulator correctly on the spider, it looks like there a spot for a small hose to attatch on the regulator, but there was nothing on my old one. Is this inlet where the spider takes in intake pressure to work or am I missing a tube of some sort?

It was very black under the upper intake and around where the injectors plug into the lower intake. The throttle body was also very black.

I also changed the cap and rotor while I had easy access to it.

The engine turns over and will fire if I pour a little gas down the throttle body. Wont stay running on its own. I've tried to prime it by turning the key on and off also. What do I replace next? Maybe the spider is bad?

(By the way, I have never heard this engine run, previous owners didnt have the funds to fix it, They said one day it just wouldnt start, that was over a year ago)

Old 11-23-2010, 03:44 PM
Starting Member
jackdough is an unknown quantity at this point

i would test the pump before anything else. these trucks take alot of pressure to run. there is a good thread on here somewhere telling you exactly what to do.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Beginning Member

I thought about just putting in a new fuel pump, the price tag deterred me. There roughly $275 at the local parts stores. I found a few parts warehouse places on ebay with one for as low as $68.50 with free shipping. A few others ranging in that same price range. All brand new, with a warranty. I can't imagine the quality of a 68 dollar pump though. Even with a warranty I would get sick of dropping the gas tank or paying a tow bill.
I've been searching the posts on here, not sure what to try next. And it's damn cold outside!

Old 11-23-2010, 07:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely test before you replace: 96+ Fuel System Diagnosis

Old 11-23-2010, 07:54 PM
Beginning Member

So nothing else hooks up to the fuel pressure reg right? Looks like a small vaccum hose could attatch to it. Thanks for all the replies.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Since the regulator is inside the plenum, it is exposed to engine vacuum without the need for any hoses.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:46 PM
Starting Member
jacobcnc is on a distinguished road

I have had three blazers do the same thing with all three i had to change the whole spider assembly

Old 11-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by jacobcnc
I have had three blazers do the same thing with all three i had to change the whole spider assembly
The lady I got the truck from said she had that done not too long ago. When I had it apart to change the regulator the spider/hoses were full of black crap as was most of the lower intake. I cleaned everything before I put it back together. Tomorrow I'll get a pressure testor and check that first. (I should've done that before I did anything to it) If no good then i'll get a new spider. I'd also like to change the spark plugs, but they don't look very easy to get to...

Old 11-24-2010, 08:36 AM
Starting Member
1998MSO is on a distinguished road

Yep, definitely test the fuel pressure before doing anything else!

Old 11-24-2010, 08:52 AM
Starting Member
jacobcnc is on a distinguished road

Plugs are super easy just go over the top of the tires though the wheel wells. So how long did it sit my money is still on the whole spider assembily

Quick Reply: 97 Blazer wont start... Changed the Fuel pressure reg