2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4wd info, binding up on turns

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 05:33 PM
shleprock is on a distinguished road
Default 4wd info, binding up on turns

I have a 95, 4.3 vortec LS, with electronic shift on the fly 4wd. My question, when I shift from 2wd to 4wd high, does it lock all 4 wheels, or does it have some kind of limited slip differential??? Is it normal for it to binded up when I make turns going slow????? Thanks!!!

Old 12-20-2011, 05:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The binding while in 4wd is normal operation even with open differentials when turning on high traction surfaces. When in 4HI/4LO, the front & rear driveshafts are locked together, but you still have differentials in the front/rear axle to allow for side to side differences in speed. When turning each wheel follows a different path and, as such, travels at a different speed. Since the front & rear driveshafts are locked together, something has to give. This is why you shouldn't have it in 4HI or 4LO on high traction surfaces.

If you have G80 on the RPO code list in your glove box, then you have the factory automatic locker.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:05 PM

thanks swartlkk!! what is the factory automatic locker, and does that mean all 4 wheels are locked when engauged in 4HI???

Old 12-20-2011, 06:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The G80 Gov-Lock differential was only used in the rear axle. There wasn't an option for a front locker or limited-slip diff. Run a search for 'G80' or 'G80+operation' and you should get more than enough information.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:28 PM

This is my first 4wd chevy! To simplify my question, are all 4 wheels locked and driving the car when engauged in 4HI??? Sorry for any confution!!

Old 12-20-2011, 06:30 PM
Administrator

To answer that question directly, NO. If you read my post above and know how differentials work, the answer is fairly plain to see. That answer goes for the vast majority of all 4wd vehicles in stock form.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:01 PM

I checked my glove box, and i don't have a G80! so, does that mean just 1 wheel in the back and 1 wheel in the front are engauged when in 4HI or 4LO?? Do they transfer power to the other wheels if they slip, or are they one leggers all the time?? Thanks for all your help!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Administrator

If you are stuck in the snow or mud, yes, there is potential for only 1 wheel on each axle to spin, leaving the wheel with the higher traction doing nothing.

Old 12-20-2011, 07:19 PM

When in 4HI, if one wheel roles free on each axle at all times, why would it binded up when turning??? and what would the RPO codes in the glovebox be for other types of 4wd's?? Sorry for so many questions, I just need to know how my 4wd works, so I don't get stuck in the snow! I seem to lose traction easaly in 2wd!!!

Old 12-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Administrator

You are not understanding the operation of a differential... One wheel doesn't roll free.

Here are a few links for you to read up on:
HowStuffWorks "How Differentials Work"
HowStuffWorks "How Four-Wheel Drive Works"

Quick Reply: 4wd info, binding up on turns