2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4x4 blinking light and un-responsive 4x4 drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 12:42 AM
tolleyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 4x4 blinking light and un-responsive 4x4 drive

Hi I own a 2002 blazer zr2 and was going threw a mud puddle today and had to use 4x4 hi. SoI push the 4x4 button and all it does is blink without engadging, I tried 4x4 low and auto 4x4 it does the same for all them. the 2 wheel drive button is the only one that works and stays illuminated. needless to sayI got stuck and was not happy lol. hope it is nothing serious. I checked the fuses and there all fine. On a side noteI was driving home and all the instrument cluster lights went out, dont know if they are conected? thanks for any help.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:48 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road
Default RE: 4x4 blinking light and un-responsive 4x4 drive

You might have got some water in a place that shouldn't have been but I am not sure. As for the 4x4 stuff, you probably have a vaccum leak in the 4x4 system or a bad vaccum switch ontop of the transfer case. I would check all your hosing for the 4x4 vaccum system and then check out the connection and then the switch at the top of the transfer case. This seems to be a common problem and you should be able to find more info by using the search function in the tool bar above.

-Lenny

Old 07-29-2007, 03:44 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its definately a vacuum issue thats holding up your t-case.Itscommon, it happens, and itsnot that bad to replace (like lenny said search the forum and you will findits been fixed before).If you are lucky when you get stuck you can try and press the 4hi button while shifting between drive and reverse and it may catch and switch over. I dont recommend doing this all the time as it probably has a detremental effect. Just use it in case you are stuck.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:54 PM
tolleyc is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks guy's. I followed the vaccum lines and took apart the lines under the battery.I seemed to have pressure at each point I checked. Put it all back together and hit the 4hi button then proceded to reverse out of the garadge and bingo what do you know its working. I dont know for how long cuzI dont thinkI fixed anything but hey ill take it!! thanks again for the help!!

Old 07-29-2007, 05:57 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

No problem. What it usually is that will prevent the t-case from working right is that diaphram under the battery starts to give way or the switch on the tcase wears out. Either way a little "kick in the pants" via the transmission usually will get it moving.