2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4X4 troubles

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:32 AM
Starting Member
billbobagns is on a distinguished road

Do you know if this same encoder sw is used on the 4 button TC? That might explain some things.

Old 02-19-2011, 11:59 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by billbobagns

Anyone who removes the Encoder assembly from a NV233, should note that there are two mating surfaces when they go back together. The Outside of the Shifting shaft on the TC mates to the inside of the sector gear in the Encoder. The inside of the Shifting Shaft mates to the Encoder Switch shaft. Look into the encoder assy once you remove it from the TC and you can see both the Sector Gear and the smaller switch. This switch can be turned carefully and easily with some needle nose pliers if it is needed to align.
but i thought we weren't supposed to turn that by hand, no matter what.

please, correct me if i'm wrong, but i could've swore i read on here that you should align the t-case to the encoder motor position when reinstalling it?

it's been awhile since i came across that, but it seemed to be an extremely important notice, and why it stuck in my mind.

oh yeah, i was also told that the 3 button & 4 button systems used different switches & encoders.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they are very different.

The NV233 encoder motor can be turned either manually using a 1/2" breaker bar or by supplying power & ground to the proper wires. There are physical limits to how far you can turn it. The encoder sensor portion of the assembly is separate from the motor drive though if you have to move the motor, you must also move the encoder. It is by far easier to just move the shift sector shaft in the transfer case though.

The NV236 encoder motor has a brake assembly into it that complicates maters.

Old 02-20-2011, 03:04 PM
Starting Member
billbobagns is on a distinguished road

While continuing my testing with my bench model, I noticed the vacuum switch was NOT functioning. Is this a common failure? I put vacuum to the port normally connected to the servo (the common port) then moved the TC from 2X to 4X several times while spraying first Chem tool then WD40 to Clean, then Lube it. Works fine now.