2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

4X4 Wont work :(

Old 07-19-2011, 09:36 PM
Beginning Member
Paul-ish is on a distinguished road
Question 4X4 Wont work :(

Ok I have a new to me 1999 Blazer. I got it ultra cheap due to it having been in a mild front end hit.

Previouse owner told me the 4x4 wasnt working but he had someone look at it and figuerd it was just the swich. I replaced that today and no luck, no change.

Switch will light up for a milli second when the truck fires but thats it. Buttons are non- responsive and I belive it's stuck in 4hi. I'm thinkin maybe the 4x4 control module?? But I have no experiance with computer controled 4x4's.

Anyhelp will be muchly appreciated.

Old 07-19-2011, 09:51 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

did you check the vac actuator under the battery tray?
it may have been damaged in the accident?

Old 07-19-2011, 10:11 PM
Beginning Member

Ahh so thats what that is... No it was not hit but i moved it when I pulled the rad support.
I'm thinkin it's probably electrical due to the switch not lighting when you press a button...But i'm probably wrong.

Old 07-19-2011, 11:32 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

here check this out see if this helps ya

https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...ill-help-7180/

Old 07-20-2011, 07:12 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The first thing I would do is check the TCCM for codes. See if it's trying to tell you whats wrong. The 4-button switch models (NV236) requires a full feature scan tool, but the 3-button switch models (NV233) can be done using a jumper wire at the DLC (process described in the Tech Article DIY section).

If there are no stored codes or you have successfully retrieved the codes, the next thing I would suggest is pulling the passenger side kick panel and having a look at the TCCM electrical connections. They like to corrode and cause all sorts of weird problems.

Old 07-20-2011, 08:02 AM
Beginning Member

It's the 4 button model...So do I have to take it to a Chevy dealer to have it scanned or can any mechanic do it?

Old 07-20-2011, 08:11 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A mechanic with a good scan tool can access the TCCM. Depends on whether they know how though.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:19 PM
Beginning Member

Ok had a friend scan it and coudnt get anything out of it...He pulled up a wiring diagram and found there was power going in but that was about it.
Pulled the TCCM to check for corrosion/dirty connections and it rattled when picking it up.
Sounds like something came loose in it. It's garbage...
Found a local parts truck close by and pulled the TCCM.
Parts numbers dont match but it's from a 99 with the 4 button switch.
From other websites looks like maybe they changed the part # durring the year with updated chipsets or something...

Old part # 1578800
new one #15154323

Hope this one works...I'll find out tomarow[trucks in the shop still]
At least the new/used one only cost me $20

Old 07-22-2011, 12:45 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

good luck let us know what happens

Old 08-04-2011, 10:26 PM
Beginning Member
Exclamation

Well finally got around to doing some more work on the truck...
Swapped the TCCM and scanned it again because I was still getting nothing. Scan came back with a couple codes and the guy who scanned it figured the encoder motor was toast to. Bought a used encoder and installed it.
Still nothing. Now im not sure what to do...dont want to keep throwing random parts at it..
Scanned it again a little while ago and heres what comes up.

co323-transfercase lock circuit low
co387-unable to complete shift.

need help...

Last edited by Paul-ish; 08-04-2011 at 11:08 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4X4 Wont work :(