2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

95 Chevy Blazer w/ Vortec Engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 06:58 PM
grtbrwn is on a distinguished road
Default 95 Chevy Blazer w/ Vortec Engine

My 95 Blazer is running rough. It wants to stall out and the break gets hard to push in when stopping. I took it to get the "code" read, but the thing said there was no connection. The guy at the part store said my control module may be wired wrong or just not working? How do I know if its my EGR going bad or if its something else?

Old 05-13-2011, 09:22 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Basics... Tune up (plugs, wires, cap, & rotor)? EGR Cleaned? Fuel pressure tested (must exceed 55psi and hold pressure for up to 10 minutes after the pump shuts off)?

The CPI engine is notorious for having fuel system problems internal to the intake manifold.

As far as the code reader goes, there were three different PCM/ECU setups for '95. Full OBD1 which will have an OBD1 style plug under the dash. A mix of OBD1 & OBD2 commonly referred to as OBD1.5 which will have an OBD2 style plug under the dash, but may not be readable by OBD2 compliant scan tools. And then fully OBD2. I would guess that you are in the OBD1.5 category.

As far as the EGR valve, they typically do not fail outright, but do clog. Removing the valve and cleaning it is a good place to start. Get a new gasket, one with a screen on the inlet side of the valve, and get to work!

Old 05-13-2011, 09:46 AM
grtbrwn is on a distinguished road

Thank you! I will give it all a try! )