2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

95 Jimmy hard start, rough idol, rich, wont stay running at idol until warm

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Starting Member
syriusly is on a distinguished road
Default 95 Jimmy hard start, rough idol, rich, wont stay running at idol until warm

I am totally stumped, finally broke down took it to a garage and they are baffled too! Get it started and it will only idol for a few seconds before it stalls. Start it and give it gas bringing the RPM's to 2500 it will stay running but will drop down to almost stalling then back up to 2500 until the engine is up to running temp. Once its warm it will stay running at idol but is still rough.

Here is the massive list of things that have been replaced in the last year or so. Doing my best to remember everything I have tried so there maybe an item or 2 I forgot to add here.

Fuel spider and regulator
Fuel filter
Fuel pump
MAP sensor
EGR valve
Throttle pos sensor
O2 sensors
Engine temp sensor
Catalytic converter
Rotor & cap
Wires
Plugs

No vacuum leeks found garage even searched for an internal vacuum leak.
Dumps a lot of fuel the plugs on right side very wet. Garage even did compression test which was fine. I have no clue what to check or do next any suggestions??

Thanks!

Old 02-22-2013, 05:23 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

Double check fuel pressre and leakdown. Some regulators on replacement injectors are adjustable and could be like mine, adjusted to 90psi... i had to take it back apart and adjust it. Did the lines to the injector get replaced with the injector? Its called a "nut kit", they develop a leak and dump fuel in the intake. Lastly, if all else fails i would suspect the computer.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:21 AM
Starting Member
syriusly is on a distinguished road

I replaced the spider 11 months ago, garage claimed it was the regulator so they replaced it again. It didn't help and they were kind and honest enough not to charge me for that. The nut kit was replaced when I did the spider top of the intake is dry no signs of fuel leaking up there.

I was thinking about the ECM because I can't think of anything else to possible cause this. However if it was the computer I would expect it to not work at all but once its warmed up it will idol (a bit rough) and stay running. I was certain it was a sensor that wasn't working until it warmed up but have pretty much ran out of things to check. Other than the ECM can anyone think of anything else to check?

Old 02-23-2013, 07:04 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

I would ask for fuel pressure numbers to see if they are correct. When cold it runs off a preset tuning and the only sensors that effect it are map and tps just so it can know throttle and engine load. Once warm the o2 will kick in and say "oh f**k this is too rich" amd lean it down to run right. This is exactly what happened when my regulator wasnt adjusted correctly. Also the replacement regulators (that i've experianced) dont fit correctly and have to be shaved down or they either dont seat right or damage the spider housing thus wont seat right. ECU's are expensive, I would still want fuel psi numbers to be 100% sure its not the problem. I like to belive shops always get it right but they are just people capable of messing up like you and me.