2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

97 Blazer oil pump replace?

Old 02-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Custis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 97 Blazer oil pump replace?

Hi, can anybody tell me if I can replace an oil pump in a 97 blazer with a 4.2 without removing the motor.

Thanks, my manual is very vague on the topic.

Kurt

Old 02-18-2007, 04:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 97 Blazer oil pump replace?

Is your truck a 4wd? Please put your vehicle information in your signature (via the 'My Profile' link at the top) and click on the check box to attach your signature in all of your posts. This will give us all of the information we need to give you the proper advice.

Why are you thinking that your oil pump is bad?

Old 02-18-2007, 05:17 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

You mean you have a 4.3L V6, right?
You ned to remove the oilpan and then it's just a couple of bolts holding the oil pump in. As swartlkk has asked, why do you think you need a new oil pump? What are the oil pressure readings and have you tested with a proper oil pressure guage or are you just going by the guage in the dash?

Old 02-18-2007, 05:40 PM

Hi.. thanks for replying so fast.

Yes it is a 4x4 with a 4.3L V6. and it looks very cramped underneath.

I'm just going by the guage on the dash. It starts at about 60 and drops to around 20 at operating temperature. I presently believe the dash gauge because the motor taps and gets very clunky when at operating temperature. However I will test it to confirm a bad pump before attempting to change it.

My manual shows a pressed steal oil pan and mine is cast so I'm not to confident about believing it.

Thanks again.. I appreciate it. : )

Old 02-18-2007, 06:37 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Here's some specs for ya.

il Pressure (Minimum Hot)

41.4kPa at 1,000 engine rpm (Minimum)
124.1kPa at 2,000 engine rpm
165.4kPa at 4,000 enigne rpm

6.0psig at 1,000 engine rpm
18.0psig at 2,000 engine rpm
24.0psig at 4,000 enigne rpm

Old 02-19-2007, 12:10 AM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

Custis, your engine will not make noise due to low oil pressure until it drops down below min spec. How many miles are on it and what kind of oil do you use, also when was the last oil change? Korey

Old 02-19-2007, 04:05 PM

Hi Kordog, thanks for your reply.

I recently bought this truck out of an auction. The oil was clean but I changed it anyway to see if it would help. I put 20-50 in it and it did help a bit, but not much. It definitly sounds like it's starved for oil when it gets hot and when restarting hot, it's really bad. The motor operates around 195 so everything seems normal.

Is there anything else that might cause these symptoms? I thought maybe the crackcase was getting to much pressure but the pcv seems to work fine.

I really needanoil pressure test guage but haven't had a chance to pick one up yet.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:24 PM
JustBlaze! is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't think the dash oil gauge is very accurate. Mine also fluctuates, and I am sure that there is the correct amount of oil in there. From what I understand, the oil pump will cut off fuel to the engine if your oil or oil pressure level is too low. I agree with Chevy Lover, you should test the oil pressure with an actual gauge before replacing the oil pump.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What type of oil filter are you running?

Old 05-11-2007, 09:24 PM
AutomagicLS1 is an unknown quantity at this point

mine sits at about 20psi idling and 45-50 driving

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 Blazer oil pump replace?