2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

1995 blazer popping and stumbling when accelerating....

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 07:22 PM
Beginning Member
zstudna is on a distinguished road
Default 1995 blazer popping and stumbling when accelerating....

1995 Chevy Blazer 4x4 Automatic 4.3L V6 Vortec:
Fuel Pump- replaced 3 months ago
Fuel Filter- replaced 3-4 months ago
Cap & Rotor- replaced 6 months ago
Spark Plugs- replaced 3 days ago
Plug Wires- replaced 6 months ago
TPS- replaced 6 months ago
O2 Sensor after the cat- replaced 6 months ago
Nut Kit- replaced 3 months ago
Tested all 6 injectors 3 days ago
Tested & installed new EGR valve 3 days ago
Tested all wires 3 days ago
Hit Cat & Muffler and doesn't sound like anything is loose inside 3 days ago
Looked under hood while pitch black did not see any sparks or arching same day as post

Here is my issue:
When I push on the gas the truck shakes and stumbles really bad and it either back fires or pops somewhere under the hood. It acts like it wants to come out it and tries to run right then goes back to stumbling and shaking at any rate of speed. Any suggestions?

Old 01-14-2013, 08:09 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

1995 used 2 basic computer systems, and the diagnostics are different. We need to know which system you have before we can accurately diagnose it. From the information you've already given above, all we need to know is if the plug wires attach to the cap horizontal or vertical.

Just because parts are new, is no guarantee that they're good.

Check fuel pressure and leakdown. Key ON, engine OFF, fuel pump running: Pressure must be 55psi to 61psi. It must remain above 50psi for at least 10 minutes after the pump shuts off.

Does the check engine light come on or flash while driving?
Are there any trouble codes in memory?

Old 01-14-2013, 08:22 PM
spittybays

X2^

You have stuff going back six months, is that when this started or is this new?

Old 01-14-2013, 10:42 PM
Beginning Member
Blue00Blaze is on a distinguished road

If your cap and rotor aren't AC delco start there and put an AC delco cap and rotor in it.
I just had a problem just like yours, I had aftermarket cap and rotor for just under 12 months and as soon as I put on the AC Delco cap and rotor it ran perfect with great power and smooth idle.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:11 AM
Beginning Member

The Cap has horizontal posts and is not AC Delco. That is the first thing I am going to try payday. 6 months ago the nut kit was leaking and I replaced it. This is a new problem. No check engine light and no codes.

Last edited by zstudna; 01-15-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

zstudna, The early production 95's use OBDI computer controls with HEI ignition. The brand of distributor cap is not critical. Your vehicle has OBD1.5 computer controls with EDI ignition. An AC Delco cap & rotor should always be used on that system. Make sure to put a dab of silicone dielectric grease on each terminal, inside and out, of the cap. Provided camshaft retard is adjusted correctly, the cap should last 100K miles.

After replacing the cap & rotor, check fuel pressure and leakdown, then post your results.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:40 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
zstudna, The early production 95's use OBDI computer controls with HEI ignition. The brand of distributor cap is not critical. Your vehicle has OBD1.5 computer controls with EDI ignition. An AC Delco cap & rotor should always be used on that system. Make sure to put a dab of silicone dielectric grease on each terminal, inside and out, of the cap. Provided camshaft retard is adjusted correctly, the cap should last 100K miles.

After replacing the cap & rotor, check fuel pressure and leakdown, then post your results.
I will be replacing the cap & rotor tomorrow evening. Hopefully that changes something, either way I will perform a fuel pressure test and a leakdown to see where I am at. Will update as soon as possible. I appreciate your input Captain Hook, it has been very helpful and confirms what I have been leaning towards.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:19 PM
Beginning Member

Captain Hook you're a life saver!! Installed an AC Delco cap & rotor and truck is running perfect!! Thank buddy!! Have a good weekend!!

Old 01-18-2013, 09:53 PM

I can't take all the credit, Blue00Blaze suggested the cap before we even knew which ignition system you had (The early 95 HEI caps are not nearly as critical)

Old 01-23-2013, 07:41 AM
Beginning Member
Thumbs up AC Delco Distributor Cap & Rotor replacement update!!

I replaced the distributor cap & rotor the other day on my 95 Chevy Blazer 4x4, 4.3L V6 Automatic, and the truck is running better than ever!! The gas mileage is great, all and all better. Thanks again for the input everyone.

Attached Images