2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

'98 4.3 intermittent starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 08:25 AM
rdshiver is on a distinguished road
Default '98 4.3 intermittent starting issue

Hi everyone, I'm going to try and describe the problem I'm having. Up until a month ago, this truck would start with just a bump of the key. Never had a problem with it other than the fuel pump going **** up about 2 years ago. Now sometimes it will crank right up just as it always has and sometimes now I have to try several times for it to catch and run. I have noticed that if it doesn't crank as soon as I turn the key it's not going to crank no matter how long I let it spin over. I can turn the ignition off and try again and it fires right up.

I put a fuel pressure gauge on it last night and it primed to 61 lbs pressure, after it starts it falls to about 50 lbs and holds steady. Also did a static leak down test but the pressure is holding steady. I let it sit for about 2 hours and checked it and it had dropped to about 45 lbs. but there is no immediate drop in pressure, and no fuel leaking down inside the throttle body.

After reading page after page on this forum I have yet come across an issue like the one I'm having. I've tried to find info on the starting sequence but have yet to find a clear explanation of it. So if anyone knows I would love to hear it.

So far I'm suspicious of the crank or cam position sensor and possibly the ignition switch. What do you guys think?

Rod

Old 11-27-2012, 02:49 PM
Beginning Member
alanmead is on a distinguished road

How often do you change out the fuel filter?

Old 11-27-2012, 03:04 PM

Filter was changed about 3 months ago during last oil change. Want to add too that I'm getting no CEL.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:01 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

One thing I know from my experience is the use of AC DELCO & or Dephi parts for fuel & electrical is a must if you don't want problems. What about your plugs, or cap & rotor?

Old 11-28-2012, 02:45 PM
spittybays

First start or all day?
Next time you go to start it go right from key in to crank, don't stop at key on.
One move.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by spittybays
First start or all day?
Next time you go to start it go right from key in to crank, don't stop at key on.
One move.
Hi, and thanks to all for the reply. I have tried that cranking method, other methods as well. It doesn't matter if it's the first crank of the day or the last. It can be running and I can shut it off and immediately try to crank it and still if it doesn't catch when when it first turns over it will not crank until I cycle the key off and try again.

It's never not cranked at all, but I feel it's a sign that a component is starting to fail, and I fear it will fail at the worst possible time. These intermittent problems ar hard to find, I think it would be easier to troubleshoot if it would go ahead and completely fail.

Going to change the plugs, wires, etc this weekend. It's been a while since it's had a good tuneup.

Thanks again

Old 11-29-2012, 08:15 AM
Beginning Member
alanmead is on a distinguished road

I had one that did this.
The roter bug was almost gone in it.

Old 11-29-2012, 10:29 AM
spittybays

If its been awhile tuneup is money well spent, even if its just for the price of fuel and peace of mind. I think you can pretty much disregard the cam and crank but the ignition switch is a real possibility. They can throw alot of different symptoms before they go for real so they can be a bit tricky. They say 97's had problems, I just don't know if they made any real changes to to them or just urban legend.
I would go to the BF homepage google box and do a good read on ignition switch as they can be a bit pricey
The one that I got was the cheapest, it has worked fine for three years put I can tell you that it was made with much lighter gage wires then the one that was in there.
If I had to do it again I would go with a better one.
If you order it on line make sure you get an E4 torx socket sent with it. They can be difficult to track locally.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Diaita will become famous soon enough

ignition switch. do all your gauge lights come on when it wont start?

Old 12-12-2012, 05:59 PM
Starting Member
Busterchopps is on a distinguished road

I'm haveing the same problem. I thought it was the starter or solenoid, I took it out and had it checked but they're fine. What else could it be?

Quick Reply: '98 4.3 intermittent starting issue