2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 Blazer MAF sensor and starting need Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 09:09 PM
ChrisRapp is on a distinguished road
Default 98 Blazer MAF sensor and starting need Help

Hello,

Little background on Truck 98 blazer 4.3 4x4 150k miles.

Well I noticed a week ago the car was running rough, hardly any pick up, jumpy when I would press on gas pedal. Well on monday the car wouldn't start at all. My friend used his scan tool to check the error codes, got one for MAF or VAF sensor high (something along those lines) and miss fire on cylinder 4. I let the car sit until Friday, then changed the MAF sensor, ran fine started like nothing was wrong before. Blazer still ran sluggish when I went to work today until the car was warmed up. I planned on tuning it up with new wires, plugs and cap tomorrow.

Well I just tried to start it and it's cranking fine then it just clunks out. Not like a cranking where you can hold the key and it cranks and cranks without turning over. It just seems like it loses power almost and just stops cranking but, all the electrical still works the voltage meter is fine as well.

Would the miss fire on 4 cause this?

or

What else does this sound like?

Old 04-17-2011, 07:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What were the specific codes you received? The MAF sensor is too expensive to replace without diagnosing the actual codes... The problem might have been with the circuits to/from the MAF sensor.

When was the last time a tune up was performed (plugs, wires, cap, & rotor)?

Old 04-17-2011, 09:35 AM
ChrisRapp is on a distinguished road

The code was P0103 Maf or Vaf high input and I don't believe there was a code for the miss fire on 4 it just said miss fire on 4. I replaced the MAF sensor so far

The last tune up was about 2.5 years ago. I've been reading online and I haven't seen anywhere where this will cause the car not to start, my friend looked at the wires as well and the looked to be in good shape.

I wake up this morning decide to try it, it cranks the first time then stops like it was before and check engine light was on. Second time I tried it it started and no check engine light.

Old 04-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Basically the opposite of this:
P0102 - Mass Air Flow Sensor Circuit Low Frequency
I listed this because your specific code has not yet been posted.

P0304 is the code for #4 misfire. You can check out this post and the thread linked to at the bottom of it:
P030x - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected