2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 blazer new fuel pump no gas workin gas gauge

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 03:11 PM
98blazerb is on a distinguished road
Default 98 blazer new fuel pump no gas workin gas gauge

Hello all I'am new to this site and also new to trucks I recently jst purchased a 98 blazer n I love it when it runs lol but my problem is I put in a new fuel pump its a Delphi brand and it still won't start I know it has spark. I poured fuel down the TB and it ran fine then died out. My fuel gauge works but u can't hear the pump come on and there's no gas @ the schrader valve up front and the filter is new also so I know that's not restricting the gas flow. I've read a lot of forums on here about other ppls problems with the fuel pump but I still can't figure it out anew its been a week I can't enjoy my new toy if it won't run so any help Wld h greatly appreciated thanks

Old 06-19-2012, 03:14 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Sounds like an electrical problem. Bad relay? Have you checked the fuse?

Old 06-19-2012, 03:28 PM

Yea I checked the relay and the ecm b fuse both were fine I figured the same thing so I started looking for the ground and the grounding strap was broke but I ran a jumper cable from the negative post to the ground wire and still nothin also the interior lights and tail lights were flashing so I had to unhook the bat

Old 06-19-2012, 03:59 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

In the underhood fuse panel, just forward of the fuel pump relay, there is a single, vacant, terminal. If you apply battery voltage to the terminal, (fused jumper wire) the fuel pump must run. If not, check for battery voltage at the pump module with the jumper wire installed. If you have battery voltage at the pump, check for ground at the module connector, must be less than 5 ohms to ground. The fuel pump ground, (2 door) is located on the top left rear corner of the frame.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:16 PM

Does the connector have 2 b plugged into the pump 2 get an accurate reading and if not what do I do if its less then source voltage

Old 06-19-2012, 06:21 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Unplug the connector at the fuel pump module and check voltage on the grey wire in the harness connector. If it shows less than battery voltage with the jumper in place, there is an open circuit in the grey wire between the harness connector and the underhood fuse panel.

Old 06-19-2012, 06:29 PM

Ok wat Wld b a good place 2 ground ohmmeter

Old 06-19-2012, 06:36 PM

Clean off a spot on the frame with a grinder, file, sandpaper, etc until you expose bare steel. Tightly hold one probe on the clean spot.

The grey terminal should show battery voltage. The black wire/s should show less than 5 ohms resistance to the frame.

Old 06-20-2012, 05:11 PM

Hi guys found da problem wire had break behind front divers wheel it starts right up now and I jst have 1 last question the ground strap in the back attached 2 the crossmember and fuel fill stem broke so does it have 2 b re wired the same way or jst the ground in 1 spot

Old 06-20-2012, 05:30 PM

That wire is to ground out static electricity when you stick the fill nozzle in there at the gas station, that's all it does. It can go to any chassis ground but it really does need to be there for your safety, and everyone else at the gas station

Quick Reply: 98 blazer new fuel pump no gas workin gas gauge