2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 Blazer -No Brake Lights..

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Beginning Member
protegechris is on a distinguished road
Default 98 Blazer -No Brake Lights..

Where do I start on this one?

Today I was driving down the road and a cop was following me.. I got into the turning lane to go into my apartments, he followed.. I pulled in.. he was waiting on traffic so he could turn, I parked.. walked away.. he pulled up behind and watched me walk inside my apartment.

I'm guessing that now is the time to get this fixed. Where should I start?

Old 04-26-2009, 03:10 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would start by seeing if the third brake light works. If it does, then the switch is ok and the problem most likely lies in the multifunction switch. If messing with the hazard switch fixes the problem, if only temporarily, then you could try replacing the hazard switch only for under $20.

But that is assuming that you have already ruled out the bulbs being the issue.

Old 04-26-2009, 03:20 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Yes, I would bet the problem is the turn signal switch behind the steering wheel. This is a fairly common problem.
As Kyle mentioned above... You have checked the bulbs and fuses haven't you?

Old 04-26-2009, 08:28 PM
Beginning Member
2doorblazer is on a distinguished road

i had no brake lights 4 over a week .... my hazard switch was broke off in my colum an it was my prob i got one from a dealer for $15.43 an fixed my prob.... i also didnt have flashers, brakes,turn singles but now i do

Old 04-27-2009, 10:50 AM
Beginning Member

What fuse controls the rear brake lights? I have no 3rd light, either.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:22 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

The fuse should be labeled. Do your blinkers work? Try checking the brake light switch under the dash that is activated by the brake pedal arm, are you getting 12 volts in and out of that swith? I can't remember if the third light has it's own switch or not. You have checked the bulbs right? It is possible for them to both be out at the same time.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Both use the same switch, hence why I asked about the third brake light. The CHMSL does have a relay and I believe a fuse of its own, but it is triggered by the same switch as the regular lights.

Old 04-29-2009, 03:57 PM
Beginning Member

Bulbs are all good. We have no brake lights (no 3rd either). Turn signals are fine.

Where's the actual switch itself located, so I can test it?

I checked the cabin fuses -- there are none labeled for the tail lights.. there's a rear wiper switch -- but that's about it.

Old 04-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Administrator

The brake switch is located on the brake pedal assembly.