2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Just did tune up, now its misfiring

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Starting Member
ExplicitYourSelf is on a distinguished road
Default Just did tune up, now its misfiring

The car is a 2001 chevy blazer 4dr 4.3L 2wd at about 150k miles.

I just took it to get a tune up just about a month ago. The spark plugs i chose was the ac delco platinum, they cost me around $7 ea. I believe these are the OEM replacement. I also purchased a new cap and rotor along with spark plug cables i believe they're called farrot. According to the scanner its throwing a code of P0300 which turns out to be a "misfire". The guy at the shop owed me some bucks so all I gave him was $50 bucks and he did the labor and he replaced the spark plug cables, cap and rotor in return. That being said i'm not quite sure where he got these parts from. I hope to get some feed back and here is a small video of my chevy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCnkTYKdKHA

I noticed that the misfire is below 1100 rpms. It idle's at about 500 rpms and the car vibrates a lot at idle. The night before this started going on i was pulling up the car in the drive way and i har like this pop-ish noice & the car turned off, and i couldnt turn it on so i pushed it in a little. The next day i noticed these problems. Thanks (:

Old 05-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Starting Member

Any ideas...

Old 05-18-2010, 11:17 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

So it started doing this recently? I would try something simple at first. Make sure all the wires are connected to the plugs.

Last edited by cbr995; 05-18-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:51 PM
Starting Member

I already tried that, no diffrecnce. Im going to try a diffrent set of cables and inspect the spark plugs, is their any certain colors I should look for or anything?

Old 05-19-2010, 12:12 AM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

I would double check that the wires are matched correctly to be honest. Ive seen this mistake so many times as ive even done it myself :-(

Old 05-19-2010, 06:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Are the wires on the cap properly? I have seen them look ok, but not be connected properly inside. Air can get trapped between the wire boot and the terminal on the cap and push the terminal off once the vehicle starts. You may have to put a small screw driver in along the boot while you slide it over the terminal to allow the air to escape.

If that doesn't work and neither does new wires, I would inspect the cap. Make sure it is down properly and that the rotor is installed properly. That also leaves the possibility of a bad plug or two.

BTW, please do not bump a post after waiting a few hours... Site rules state to wait at least 24 hours to bump a post.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Are the wires on the cap properly? I have seen them look ok, but not be connected properly inside. Air can get trapped between the wire boot and the terminal on the cap and push the terminal off once the vehicle starts. You may have to put a small screw driver in along the boot while you slide it over the terminal to allow the air to escape.

If that doesn't work and neither does new wires, I would inspect the cap. Make sure it is down properly and that the rotor is installed properly. That also leaves the possibility of a bad plug or two.

BTW, please do not bump a post after waiting a few hours... Site rules state to wait at least 24 hours to bump a post.
Thanks for the info, I will try to do what you stated above.
sorry about the bump it's just that i notice there was 40 views and no replies, figured that if i replied someone would give me a tip or two.

Im just a bit desperate to get my car running since im using my brothers car cause im afraid to mess anything up on blazer since it's acting up.

Edit: forgot to mention, does any body have the wiring diagram for the spark plug cable so i can double check this stuff,Thanks

Last edited by ExplicitYourSelf; 05-19-2010 at 05:00 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 09:38 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

Mine had the cyls numbered on the cap.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:38 AM
Starting Member

i tried the screw driver trick to take the air out the spark plug cable, and noticed no difference... i went alon and purchased some bosch spark plug cables, damn those suckers cost $64 bucks after tax made no difference .According to the scanner cylinders 1,2 and 3 are misfiring damn my car is weak... i noticed that their is a weird smell like if their was fire crackers being lid up. I really hope someone who has expirenced this problem and solved it runs into this thread lol. One of my friends that has a shop said he will check the vehicle for compresion and all that good stuff and will charge me only for labor if i get it fixed by him and he will waive the diagnose fee. Hope to hear some feed back. Thanks!

Old 05-26-2010, 04:17 PM
Starting Member

I've been busy & had a chance to check out the blazer yesterday.
I tested the coil and everythingseems to be to spec. A friend of mine told me that these 4.3liters come with spyder injection and tend to go out overtime.

Quick Reply: Just did tune up, now its misfiring