2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

98 Dash Removal - A/C Blend Motor

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:15 PM
hdfxsti is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 98 Dash Removal - A/C Blend Motor

Need some help please. Trying to remove the dash to replace the A/C-Heat Blend motor. I have removed every bolt I can find and it will not move. All electronic components removed. I have removed every bolt and screw I could find including behind the instruments and upper grills.

Any ideas or tips?

I know you are supposed to be able to change the blend motor without removing the dash but I cannot get my hands in there and have already given a pint of blood through my knuckles.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:56 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 98 Dash Removal - A/C Blend Motor

I really hope you attempted this with the support of a manual of some sort... The Haynes/Chiltons manuals do not really go into great detail about removing the dash carrier, but they help. FSMs are the best, but not everyone wants to plunk down the coin for a set.

Here are the bolts/nuts/screws that need to be removed:

Old 06-11-2008, 04:59 PM

Thanks, I think I see the two I missed!

Any suggestions as far as the airbag is concerned? Can I just unplug it without any danger of it going off?

Old 06-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There are specific disarming and rearming procedures.

Disabling the SIR System

1. Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight ahead.
2. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position.
3. Remove the key from the ignition switch. IMPORTANT: With the SIR Fuse removed and the ignition switch in the ON position, The AIR BAG warning lamp illuminates. This is normal operation, and does not indicate an SIR system malfunction.
4. Remove the SIR Fuse from the IP fuse block.
5. Remove the left sound insulator, if equipped.
6. Remove the knee bolster.
7. Disconnect the driver yellow 2-way connector located at the base of the steering column.
8. Open the IP compartment door, lift stop and allow door to fully open.
9. Remove the Connector Position Assurance (CPA) from the passenger yellow 2-way connector located behind the glove box.
10. Disconnect the passenger yellow 2-way connector located behind the glove box.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Scooterewski is an unknown quantity at this point

It is possible to remove without dropping the whole dash...I got mine out and back in with a 1/4 inch drive ratchet and socket....very small incriments and it was loose enough to turn w/ my fingers.....patience is the key

Old 06-11-2008, 08:30 PM

I have A/C again, thanks for the help. Now I just have to put it all back together. Thanks again.

Old 06-11-2008, 08:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Scooterewski

It is possible to remove without dropping the whole dash...I got mine out and back in with a 1/4 inch drive ratchet and socket....very small incriments and it was loose enough to turn w/ my fingers.....patience is the key
Yes sir, I figured that out once I got it apart. I didn't know the back of the motor was not attached with a screw, it just lifted off after I removed the front two screws. You're right about the patience, I wish I had more of it.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Beginning Member
cb_murray is an unknown quantity at this point

I am having trouble figuring out how to roll down the glovebox on my 96 S-10.... I dont see the metal tab on the upper left hand side, as mentioned above... what am I missing? I took the door and frame off, and it looks like the whole inside box casing is integral with the dash, including the dash pad glued over the edges.