2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 blazer airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 04:01 PM
Beginning Member
xpsychox is on a distinguished road
Default 99 blazer airbag light

I did try to look and see I could find an answer, but all that I saw was people bought it with the light on, or they did something to provoke it turning on. Like changed the dash, or column etc. It's my wife's vehicle she said she was driving home from work, and it popped on. I don't have a reader to see the code, nor do I want to spend $300-$400 just for a one time use, lol. I've read on a few that I can pull the SIS fuse and it'll turn it off. But 1, i want to make sure I can do that, 2nd, I want to make sure that's not going to have a safety issue (i.e. it won't allow it to work if needed). Any help would be appreciate it, thanks!

Old 07-02-2014, 04:27 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The SRS, (supplemental restraint system) runs a self test each time the ignition is turned to the RUN position. If a circuit fails, the warning light stays on. If a sensor fails, it will test the sensor 3 times, if it still fails after 3 tries, the warning light stays on. Disconnecting the battery, or removing the fuse does nothing different than cycling the ignition on and off. When the light is on, at least one air bag may or may not deploy during an impact. If you leave the fuse out, it will disable the entire system. Air bags are extremely dangerous and should be serviced only by a qualified tech using the proper test equipment.

EDIT: A scan tool capable of accessing the SRS module is required to retrieve DTC's.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 07-02-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:26 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
The SRS, (supplemental restraint system) runs a self test each time the ignition is turned to the RUN position. If a circuit fails, the warning light stays on. If a sensor fails, it will test the sensor 3 times, if it still fails after 3 tries, the warning light stays on. Disconnecting the battery, or removing the fuse does nothing different than cycling the ignition on and off. When the light is on, at least one air bag may or may not deploy during an impact. If you leave the fuse out, it will disable the entire system. Air bags are extremely dangerous and should be serviced only by a qualified tech using the proper test equipment.

EDIT: A scan tool capable of accessing the SRS module is required to retrieve DTC's.

Okay, do you know where I can have someone scan it without paying an arm and a leg...or where I can get one for fairly cheap?

Edit: I found this this video. I know it's a honda, but would this work for the blazer?
and I also found this scanner, would it be good enough?
Amazon.com: INNOVA 3150 Diagnostic Code Reader with ABS/SRS for OBD2 Vehicles: Automotive Amazon.com: INNOVA 3150 Diagnostic Code Reader with ABS/SRS for OBD2 Vehicles: Automotive

Last edited by xpsychox; 07-02-2014 at 05:41 PM.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:12 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Jumpering the pins is not recommended. Can't tell you if it works or not, but I wouldn't try it. You run the risk of causing other damage.

The Innova appears to be capable of retrieving the DTC's, (U codes) but without full access to the SRS circuits, which it is not capable of, pinpointing the problem would require a diagnostic flow chart, and possibly still need full access. The DTC will get you "in the ball park" but it won't take you to the right "seat"

The auto parts stores, for the most part, only retrieve powertrain DTC's, (P codes). Call around to some local shops and see if they are familiar with diagnosing SRS problems. Ask them what the charge would be to diagnose it. Diagnosis should be well under $100.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:46 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

Air bags are designed to blow out windows and other bad stuff. Be very careful where you are in relation to the bag when poking around!

Old 07-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Beginning Member

I've already called around for a previous problem with my truck (99 Isuzu amigo) and local shop is $70 but I'm thinking of I'm going to stop $70 I might as well get something that'll do it and keep it.. Do u have a recommendation for a fairly priced scanner?

Old 07-02-2014, 07:01 PM

Prices for scan tools range from around $30 to $25K. The more you spend, the more stuff you can do with it. If all you're going to do is retrieve codes, you can get by with a $30 code reader. If you want access to more than just powertrain, ABS & SRS, Ebay usually has some decent used Snap On Solus, and Solus Pro units starting around $2K. You need to make sure the software covers your year of vehicle. Annual software updates are $1K and are available only through Snap On.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:07 PM
Beginning Member

Prices for scan tools range from around $30 to $25K. The more you spend, the more stuff you can do with it. If all you're going to do is retrieve codes, you can get by with a $30 code reader. If you want access to more than just powertrain, ABS & SRS, Ebay usually has some decent used Snap On Solus, and Solus Pro units starting around $2K. You need to make sure the software covers your year of vehicle. Annual software updates are $1K and are available only through Snap On.
I'm not going to spend 2k on something that I may use 1-3 times a year... I know the prices vary I was asking u knew of a specific one that worked well or that could do what I needed for a fair price...sorry to say but 2k is not fair..

Old 07-02-2014, 07:37 PM

The Innova that you linked to, appears to be a decent entry level unit. It will retrieve DTC's so you can determine what circuits malfunctioned. It will also give you limited access to certain live data streams. It will not tell you what part to replace, no scan tool will do that.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Beginning Member

The Innova that you linked to, appears to be a decent entry level unit. It will retrieve DTC's so you can determine what circuits malfunctioned. It will also give you limited access to certain live data streams. It will not tell you what part to replace, no scan tool will do that.
It's still a starting point.. Although I may not get that one simply because it went work with my vehicle.

Quick Reply: 99 blazer airbag light