2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 blazer passlock problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 08:31 PM
ramairgtz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 99 blazer passlock problems

I've spent over 2 hours today reading post trying to solvethe problem but no luck yet. Here's my symptoms, over the weekendthe keyless entry, daytime running lights and interior lights quit working. Yesterday morningshe got in the truck and it woudn't start. It runs on starting fluid but not on it's own and has good fuel pressureso I know it's getting air, fuel and spark. The security light is on steady and doesn't flash. Today I replaced the ignition switch and tried the passlock relearn procedure but as I left the key on the security light never went off after the 10 minutes. Ileft the keyon for an hour and the security lightstill didn'tgo off. Any suggestions? Could the BCM have gone bad? I'm going to try some graphite in the ignition cylinder to see if it isn't making good contact with the passlock sensor. I really appreciate any help

Dennis Pape

Old 02-05-2009, 08:33 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: 99 blazer passlock problems

Hrm...I think the relearn procedure requires you to rock forward for 10 min, then rock back, then 2 more 10 min cycles of that. then it should take the code.

But...I didnt have to relearn after my ignition switch on my 2000.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:02 PM

I did the 30 minute relearn procedure I found on here and it didn't work. The security light never went off after the 10 minutes like it said it should. Sorry I have alot on my mind lately and I forgot to post that above.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If the short method does not work, then a Tech 2 or equivalent scan tool may be required to access the PCM/BCM and trigger the relearn.

Old 02-05-2009, 10:22 PM

So is there any chance the bcm could be bad or will the passlock relearn fix the keyless, dome and running lights also?I checked all the fuses and they are all good. The dome light won't even turn on with the switch if that helps any.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:12 PM

Another update I unhooked the battery over night. I went out there after work pulled the ignition cylinder out to clean it, sprayed some wd40 in thereand hooked the battery up. The security light wasn't on untillI put the key in the ignition then it stayed on all the time again. I called a local shop and they said they have had this problem before and they ended up having to replace both the ignition switch and cylinder then do the 30 minutes relearn procedure. They also told me to clear the passlock codes with a scan tool before doing the relearn and it should work. The only problem is I don't have a scan tool so as soon as I find one to borrow I'm going to give it a try and hope this works.