2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 Chevy Blazer Power Seat problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:16 PM
joker7041@yahoo.com is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 99 Chevy Blazer Power Seat problem

My 99 Chevy Blazer driver side power seat stopped working completely.I havelumbar support, full power seats w/heat as well. There is a ticking sound coming from a black box underneath the seat. Is this the seat module? I am not really sure. He took out the box to see if he could work on it but he is not sure what to do with it. I figured I would just check in here to see if someone else had the same problem. If someone could tell me what this "black box" is and possibly how to fix it with a diagram or maybe how to get a replacement, new or used doesnt matter. I am hoping it doesn't break the bank to get this done.I just want to keep it away from the dealership cuz they said theycharge a mandatory 150 bucks to do a diagnostic check, even if I can tell them the problem first..........I guessthey should call it the stealership...lol.Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: 99 Chevy Blazer Power Seat problem

Yes, that is probably the driver's seat adjuster memory module. I would check all of the wiring to the seat (easiest to just pull the seat) for a worn spots that may be grounding out.

Old 03-23-2008, 08:14 PM

This constant ticking is coming from that black box. My mechanic said he would look inside the box to see if he could fix it. The crappy part is that it happened when he was working on my brakes. He disconnected the battery and he said he heard the ticking noise and after he took the seat out, he said it was coming from the box. I've been going crazy trying to find out where I can get a new seat module because I know if I take it to the dealership they are going to charge me up the ying yang. Are these seat modules expensive to replace or repair?

Old 03-23-2008, 08:36 PM
972DRBLAZER is an unknown quantity at this point

thats why i like my manual seats. simple and last a long time. the only thing i can say to help you is to go to your local junk yard and grab one of those boxes. you can usually find parts there for cheap. sorry i couldnt help you any more.

Old 03-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That part is going to be difficult to find. You will be looking for highly optioned Blazers, Bravadas, or Jimmys... It won't be easy to find it in a junkyard. No idea how much it costs at the dealer, but I wouldn't go replacing it right away... Sounds like the power reset goofed things up. Try unplugging the unit and seeing what happens when you plug it back in.

Old 03-24-2008, 09:23 PM

Yeah, I think for now I am going to wait. My mechanic took the black box out of my blazer and he has it at his shop. Hopefully he can figure it out but he warned me I may have to go to the dealership and I know that will cost some dough. I have looked for memory seat modules everywhere on the internet and haven't found any for a Blazer. If worst comes to worst I may just take the black box too the dealer and try to buy a replacement instead of having them do there $150 mandatory diagnostic test just to tell me I need a new black box....lol

Old 03-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Scooterewski is an unknown quantity at this point

I posted a thread about a similar problem, Drivers power seat un-responsive. I have absolutely no power to the switch, nor the harness the switch plugs into and all fuses/relays are good. I know this much, I snipped the wires on the front motor and jumped power directly to the motor and the motor was good(and I got my seat moved back!)bad thing is, is I still have the same problem. Someone replied and suggested lifting the carpet and checking the wiring on the drivers floor board for breaks. I havent had the time to do so.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:56 PM
Scooterewski is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess I could be doing it now though, right?

Old 04-08-2008, 07:46 PM
Beginning Member
Rogue7 is an unknown quantity at this point

Guys,

I just fixed this problem on my son's Blazer. We had only 10.9vdc at the plugs under the seat. There are two plugs, one that feeds the seat movement switch, and one that feeds the lumbar support. At the suggestion of other members, I removed the seat and peeled back the carpet on the drivers side, and found a plastic channel that all the wires run in from up under the dash back to the seat. I opened the plastic channel, pulled the wires out and found that there is one reddish/orange wire that feeds into 3 addition wires of the same color. It was wrapped in some type of insulation tape. I peeled the tape off, and found the wires to be corroded severly. I cut out the bad section, spliced in some new wires, and this gave me 12.5vdc at my plugs under the seat. I reinstalled the seat, plugged everything in, and the seat works great.

So, check to see if you have voltage on both plugs that connect to the seat. If no voltage, or voltage is less than 12vdc, it's a good bet that the wires on your Blazer are corroded as well. From what I understand, this is a common problem on all 2nd Generation Blazers. For the guy with the seat memory module that is just clicking, again, check that you have the proper voltage at the plug. If the voltage is too low, the module will not operate correctly.

Rogue7