2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

99 Chevy Blazer/Running rich/missfiring/running rough

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 07:02 PM
Beginning Member
ksimpson is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down 99 Chevy Blazer/Running rich/missfiring/running rough

Ok so I got a 1999 chevy blazer 4x4. It's been missfiring, ,running rough ,gas smell and the check engine light is on. Put it in the shop today and got the spark plugs and wires replaced. the spark plugs were black and the mechanic said there were black spots on the wires and they were leaking electricity. So now it seems the problem is that its running rich and its getting too much gas. He told me it would be another 300$ to fix that but did not explain to me what the problem was, so I would rather save some money and try to fix it myself if anybody if there is anyone that could please help me!!

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:25 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Is the check engine light on? If so, what DTC's are in memory, and what order were they retrieved? Most auto parts stores will retrieve them for free.

Plugs need to be AC Delco 41-993 with a gap of .060"
Plug wires need to be good quality, (AC Delco, Autolite, Belden) not some el cheapo store brand.
AC Delco cap & rotor work hand in hand with plugs & wires.
Next step is check fuel pressure and leakdown. Most auto parts stores rent/sell/loan fuel pressure testers. When you have one, let us know and we can walk you through the tests.... simple & quick to do.

Old 09-21-2013, 07:40 PM
Beginning Member

Yes, It's on. Tommorrow morning ill go get the DTC's and fuel pressure checked. I found a thread on here with a guy that was having similar problems to mine and he found the solution.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-ge...h-smell-45052/

Im wondering if im having the same problem, but ill let you know more tommorrow. Thanks for the help.

Old 09-22-2013, 03:48 PM
Beginning Member

Code was P0300. Didnt have a chance to check the fuel pressure yet

Old 09-22-2013, 05:21 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

P0300 is almost always caused by a problem in the secondary ignition system: ignition coil, spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap & rotor. It can also be caused by low fuel pressure. If the cap & rotor have not been replaced recently, it might not be a bad idea to replace them with AC Delco parts, (these things are real fussy when it comes to cap & rotor). Put a dab of silicone dielectric grease on each terminal, inside and out, of the cap.

Checking fuel trims on a scan tool would help narrow the problem down. Negative fuel trim numbers indicate a rich misfire, meaning the engine is not burning the fuel and could indicate an ignition problem. Positive fuel trims indicate a lean condition, meaning the engine is not getting enough fuel or too much air, (possibly a vacuum leak or low fuel pressure).

Last edited by Captain Hook; 09-22-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Beginning Member

Tommorow after work Ill replace the cap and rotor and let you know how things go. I was going to buy the tool to check the low fuel pressure but for some reason its real expensive at the auto store near me so ill have to wait till friday to buy it. Thanks alot Hook ill keep ya updated

Old 09-22-2013, 05:45 PM

Most of the auto parts stores sell pressure testers for around $40, made by "Actron". Some of the stores rent/loan them too.

Old 09-28-2013, 05:27 PM
Beginning Member

Ok captain so my mechanic took a good look at it today and the problem is 100% the fuel injector he said. He said the spider is like 300-500$ brand new but he can get a used one for 250$. He said he will charge me about 600$ total for 250 $ used spider and labor, but I found this on ebay Delphi FJ10565 Fuel Injector | eBay

Do you think I should buy this and let him install it? I would do it myself but im far from a mechanic and i would probably mess something up. Also do you think he is charging me too much and I should look for someone cheaper? Ive always gone to him and he has done good work.

Old 09-28-2013, 06:29 PM

Your Ebay link has an excellent price, including shipping! You will also need the $20.00 gasket set for the plenum, (Felpro #MS95816). Labor to do the job is under 2 hours. He's charging you ~$175.00 per hour! Roughly twice what it should be. Total labor should be $160.00 to $180.00 if you have a shop do the job.

Before you commit to this, do yourself a huge favor and check the fuel pressure and leakdown It would be a shame to replace the injector assembly only to find out it needed a fuel pump. After you check it, post the results.

Old 10-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Beginning Member

Ok so I never got a chance to check the fuel pressure..I work so much and i rarely have a life outside of work..but my girlfriend took it to a different and cheaper mechanic and installed the Spider fuel injecter. It ended up being the injecter. At first it started up fine...runs alot smoother, calmer, no more smell of gas. Went to autozone got the check engine light cleared and it didnt come back on for an hour or so. Went into walmart came out and it came back on and the rpms shoot way up when I crank it up. Besides that everything else is good cranks right up with no hesitation. Idk maybe if the mechanic accidently forgot to put something back in the right place or what. Before I got the spider installed the rpms went up alittle bit but now they go up alot more then they did before. So it fixed the problem but seems to of created a new problem lol. When I start it in the morning ill see if it gets better. Any suggestions?

Also just realized something...I never purchased the $20.00 gasket set for the plenum, (Felpro #MS95816)...But im guessing he installed the spider without it?

Last edited by ksimpson; 10-05-2013 at 08:03 PM.

Quick Reply: 99 Chevy Blazer/Running rich/missfiring/running rough