2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Dome override button

Old 05-29-2009, 12:02 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future
Default Dome override button

Can someone help me out and tell me what this button does? It's right below the outside light dial.
My assumption was that it would turn the inside dome/map lights on and off, but my lights are currently stuck on (I'm fairly certain it's a shorted out door sensor) and I was looking for a quick fix...short of pulling the fuse.
I pressed this button a few times, and the first time I pressed it the lights dimmed or flickered for half a second, but remained on.
Is this button not supposed to control the interior lights? Thanks!

Old 05-29-2009, 12:56 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

It serves 2 functions in my truck. From the owner's manual:

You can use the DOME OVERRIDE button, located
below the exterior lamp control, to set the dome lamps
to come on automatically when a door is opened, or to
remain off. To turn the lamps off, press the button in.
With the button in , the dome lamps will remain off
when a door is open. To return the lamps to automatic
operation, press the button again and return it to the out
position. With the button in this position, the dome
lamps will come on when you open a door. This will
override the illuminated entry feature, unless you use
your keyless entry transmitter (if equipped) to unlock
the vehicle.

When necessary, you may turn off the automatic
headlamp system and the Daytime Running Lamps
(DRL) feature by following the steps below:
1. Turn the ignition to RUN.
2. Press the DOME OVERRIDE button four times
within six seconds. After the fourth press of the
button, a chime will sound informing you that the
system is off. The system will revert back to the
automatic on mode when the ignition is turned to
OFF and then to RUN again.
3. To return to the automatic mode, push the DOME
OVERRIDE button four times within six seconds
(a chime will sound), or turn the ignition to OFF and
then to RUN again.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:12 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Cool. Thanks for the info!
I'm going to have to find myself a manual lol.

Old 05-29-2009, 01:13 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

If they dimmed on your first try I'd bet you have some dust/corrosion in the button/switch. You may try just cleaning it. My '05 silverado/work truck gets all kinds of squirrelly because of dust. I bet I remove and clean the power lock switches every 4 months. My dome override button also works intermittently but I have not had that one apart yet.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:11 PM
Starting Member
Yooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, it is there in case you want to run incognito and you are in a situation when you would have to be able to open the door without letting someone know you are there. Perhaps dropping a female friend off at home much later than you should be or vive versa for you feamle members out there.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Starting Member
dBsound is an unknown quantity at this point

^^^Too funny.

Or, lose a cop, with the headlights out!

Old 05-29-2009, 02:47 PM
BF Veteran

hahaha...GM was definitely thinking when they put this switch it. Thanks for the info guys..

Oh, and BTW...my lights were stuck on because the dimmer dial got bumped a clicked all the way up..which apparently in GM's turns the interior lighting on. hahaha felt like an idiot when I found that out (my last car was a Honda)

Old 05-29-2009, 03:26 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sisk28
Oh, and BTW...my lights were stuck on because the dimmer dial got bumped a clicked all the way up..which apparently in GM's turns the interior lighting on.
That's the way it worked in every single car I ever had, not just in GM's. That's always the first thing to check.

Old 05-29-2009, 04:03 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by rriddle3
That's the way it worked in every single car I ever had, not just in GM's. That's always the first thing to check.
I never heard of anything like this before lol...it wasn't that way in any car I had ever owned. Oh well, now I know! lol

Old 05-29-2009, 08:04 PM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah all the fords and gms ive been in have that dial click to on. As for your manual you can go to the gm owners site and download the pdf version of it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dome override button