2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ABS and Check Engine light don't light.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:49 PM
95_Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ABS and Check Engine light don't light.

Normally, when you start a car the idiot lights come on, but the ABS and Check Engine light do not light up on my.Do i need to replace the bulbs or is it something more serious, and how do i changed the bulbs? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-21-2007, 08:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: ABS and Check Engine light don't light.

Not sure on a '95 simply due to the hybrid format of the pcm used in that year and that year only, but I know that the truely OBD2 vehicles have functional checks that can be performed with a scan tool to temporarily command the ABS and CEL to be illuminated.

In '95, the PCM is a mix of OBD2 and OBD1 commonly referred to as OBD1.5 and is often regarded as a real pain to deal with. Part of the OBD2 requirement is the functional checks of the lamps. The lamps are illuminated when the vehicle is first started and turned off as soon as the functional system checks are completed successfully. I'm not too sure this happens on the earlier vehicles. Hopefully someone with a '95 can chime in with an answer for you in that regard.

If you do find that the lamps need replacing, you will need to remove the cluster and see about disassembling it. Again, on the newer models, these lamps are part of the cluster and cannot be replaced independantly without breaking into the cluster itself.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:00 PM

So basically i would have to go to a dealer, and not a local repair shop, sumthing i couldn't do on my own, because isn't it illegal to open the cluster if your not certifited?

Old 10-21-2007, 09:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That would be a last resort if these lights actually are supposed to come on.

You could try unplugging your O2 sensor and driving around for abit. The CEL should illuminate after awhile... If it does, you know that is good. On the same token, you could disconnect a front wheel speed sensor which should cause the ABS light to illuminate. This would be functional checks of your own. To clear the lights, you may have to unhook the battery for about 10-15 minutes (write down your radio stations).

I just looked up some '95 compatible clusters on eBay and it does look like the lamps for the various warning lights are removable/replaceable. The cluster for your truck looks surprisingly simplistic!

Old 10-21-2007, 09:19 PM

Thank you very much dude and simply is what i like to hear!

Old 10-22-2007, 12:16 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Be thankful!

All those warning lights on the '98+ are soldered into the circuit board, lol.

If the bulbs are replacible (assuming they're burnt) then it's fairly easy once you get the cluster out...

It could be the previous owner got tired of seeing the lights on and pulled the bulbs...

The CEL should light up as soon as the key is turned to RUN, and at least on the older W-Body cars (Grand Prix, Lumina) ODB1.5 was basically ODB1 with an ODB2 connector...

I've driven a '95 - '97 Blazer and the CEL turned on when I turned the key... I think the ABS light did too, but I can't remember for sure...

Old 12-06-2007, 09:44 AM
Phillips8201 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 98' and my 4WD warning light is burned out. I pulled the cluster out last night and found out that these bulbs must be soldered to the circuit board. I then just put it back together as I don't know enough to pull my cluster apart. Anyone have any info on this?