2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

After a week of frustration.......

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:26 PM
Beginning Member
Leo_p is on a distinguished road
Unhappy After a week of frustration.......

Since i dont have a signature yet...
2000 4X4 Blazer LT disks all around 4 door

Bought myself a blazer, after maybe 1200 miles....... wear indicators.... squeak squeak squeak.... OK ! NO PROBLEM friday of last week i said lets do some brakes!! I picked up my friend and headed to NAPA spent $79 on new rotors and pads all around got down to it. turns out front rotors were perfect, and front pads still had some meat on them. I decited to only do pads up front now here comes the fun part...

Got to doing back, pads and rotors looked horrible replaced rotors but pads were were VERY hard to get off and same with the new ones going in. I unfourtunately ignored that detail test drove it short 1 mile trip got back rear brakes were smoking and hot, VERY hot. It was late so i left it for the next day
Day two
took it all apart again and rotors had turned a cool rainbow color from the excessive heat. I took the pads out and filed them down a bit so they fit nicely and took out and greased the slide out pins which I had forgotten to do the night before put it all back together and test drove maybe 5 miles
ALL IS GOOD!!!!

WRONG..... my friend and I threw our mountain bikes up on my bike carriers and headed 15 miles away to the trails I got there got out and the smell of burnt brakes made me angry. On my way home brakes started squealing extremely loud also. l got home and hit the search bar on the forum majority ruled collapsed FLEX LINE. but which one? at 12 bucks each I figured why not do both.

Yesterday i finally got the time and went to town on the rear flex lines bled everything and made sure brake fluid was not over-filled. I Once again put everything back together and test drove 26 miles this time round trip all is good.....
nope drove to the mall today about 30 mIles away and again is the queal and horrid burnt brakes smell

so in short brakes are perfect until everything heats up and get some friction going after a while, any ideas???? front brakes have no probles whatsoever. I'm at a total loss and i hate having to drive my dads little civic to around
any input is appreciated i couldnt find anything in my search that was similar

Thank you

-Leo

Old 04-20-2012, 12:39 AM
Beginning Member
metallicats33 is on a distinguished road

Proportioning valve maybe? I had an Oldsmobile that used to lock up the rear brakes after getting off the freeway. Ended up being the proportioning valve. I'm not sure how you would test it though???

Old 04-20-2012, 01:17 AM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Sounds like the calipers are stickin on ya. The rears usually go bad.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:07 AM
bigcountry58 is on a distinguished road

+1 on the calipers bud... They seem to last just as long as the pads.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Starting Member
chcknugget is on a distinguished road

Sounds like calipers to me too... Alot of people swap out their drum brake rear ends for disks but I don't see why it's so popular. The rear drum brakes are comparitively cheap and maintenance free.

Last edited by chcknugget; 04-20-2012 at 12:24 PM. Reason: wrote 'breaks' instead of 'brakes' lol
Old 04-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Beginning Member
Leo_p is on a distinguished road

Oh yay now to spend money on calipers lol

Old 04-20-2012, 06:35 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Yup, pretty much anytime you do the rear, plan on replacin calipers.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:35 PM
mrkevinmjr is on a distinguished road

guess i got lucky on that one but sure to be hitting up my calipers soon as well...

Old 04-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Install remanufactured rear calipers, with the mounting brackets, rotors, pads, and all of the hardware, each time you do rear brakes. Bolt 'em on and bleed 'em. Most auto parts stores give you a lifetime warranty on everything but the rotors. Pistons bind in the caliper bores, pads bind in the hardware and the guide pins seize up in the brackets. As mentioned, all that stuff needs replacement by the time the pads are worn out. If you don't, you'll have the problems you're having right now

Rainbow rotors means the rotors and pads have been overheated. It might cause a squeel and you might need to replace them.

Old 04-22-2012, 08:57 AM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

Guess I'm lucky. I've done my rears twice with no problems.