2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 12:50 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default airbag light

earlier today when i started my tuck, as soon as i put it into drive, the airbag light flashed 5 or 6 times and then went off. it has never done that before and i dont know what the means. i am a little wary of driving it because i dont want the airbag to deploy while i am driving. what exactly does that light indicate?

Old 07-30-2007, 08:43 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: airbag light

Sounds like the sensor is detecting a problem with the airbag system. Probably a job for the dealer.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:08 AM
95kansasblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

My airbag light has done it since i bought my blazer. I start it up, and it will stay on for a few seconds, then goes away. I haven't had it checked out because mine has never caused any problems. Sounds like yours just started doing it though, mine was like that when I bought it. Let us know what it is if you get it looked at.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:52 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Your's flashes when you start the engine? That's what it should do as the sensors check the system, but he says his does it when he puts it in 'drive'. That's not right.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:48 PM
95kansasblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Yea mine is when I start it. Sorry, I didn't read enough into it.

Old 08-08-2007, 04:47 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

well when i start it up, it comes on for a few seconds along with all the other lights but when i shift to drive, it flashes 4 or 5 times

Old 08-09-2007, 04:19 PM
skyblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Well if that is the case my truck is in need of a dealer then as my Air Bag light is constantly on! Is that bad? Does it mean it has already deployed before?

Old 08-09-2007, 11:16 PM
BF Guru

Okay, here's information on air bags:

Proper Air Bag System Diagnosis and Service
2004 and Prior Passenger Cars and Light Duty Trucks
This bulletin is being issued to emphasize several aspects of proper diagnosis and servicing of the Air Bag System.

Air Bag Readiness Light
As stated in Owners Manuals, if the air bag readiness light stays on after the vehicle is started, the system may not be working properly. The air bags may not inflate in a crash or may even inflate without a crash. If the Air Bag Readiness Light/Indicator is illuminated or comes on intermittently, diagnose to determine the cause.

Replacement of Soaked SDMs
As stated in Service Manuals, if the vehicle interior is exposed to moisture and becomes soaked up to the level of the sensing and diagnostic module (SDM), the SDM and SDM harness connector must be replaced. The SDM could be activated when powered, which could cause air bag deployment and result in personal injury. The air bags, as well as the sensors and related parts, would have to be replaced. To help avoid this situation, turn the ignition off immediately. DO NOT turn the ignition back on, even to tow the vehicle, unless the battery cable is first disconnected.

Replacement of SDM that Shows Signs of Water Exposure or Corrosion
If an SDM that is being replaced shows signs of water exposure or corrosion and the customer does not know the source of the water exposure, then the vehicle should be checked for water leaks. If leaks are found, the customer should be advised to have them repaired to help avoid damage to the replacement SDM.

[hr]

Circuit Description
The AIR BAG warning lamp is controlled by the inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM) via Class 2 serial data. When the ignition switch is first turned to the RUN position, the SDM performs tests to diagnose critical malfunctions within itself. The SDM then commands the AIR BAG warning lamp OFF after it has flashed seven times.

Old 08-10-2007, 07:54 AM
pinktruck is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi- the same thing happened to me a few months back, with the light flashing. Then it came on and stayed. Turned out one of the sensors was bad--well, gone, actually. If I remember correctly, there are two airbag sensors. Both under drivers seat area, one inside and one outside the truck. Teh outside sensor is held in a "bracket" , and that bracket had rusted out and the sensor basically fell out. Got a replacment module, had husband install, and it's fine now.