2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Airbag light never comes on?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 02:44 AM
Beginning Member
99EnvoyBravada is on a distinguished road
Default Airbag light never comes on?

Hi all, I have a 99 Olds Bravada and i was reading the manual for fun (the only thing I read lol) and it said airbag light is supposed to flash for a few seconds and then go out when its started. Mine never comes on at all, even if the fuse is pulled. I found 3 yellow srs plugs (2 in dash 1 near underhood fuse box) all are tight, fuse is good, airbags are there, never wrecked,I verified on my Envoy, when the fuse for srs is pulled the light will come on and stay on.. the only thing I could think of would be a bad bulb for the light, but their leds.... so unlikely...Also i found an "airbag sensor module" under the amp and cd changer in the console and the plug was also tight and clean on it.. What gives? Also I have a scanner that can access srs codes and it had 0.... these kind of things will drive me over the edge haha thanks

Old 04-02-2015, 07:49 PM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

Hi , LED's can burn out....sounds like it probably did or a wiring to the light issue , anyone of the sensor or the module connectors would set the light if disconnected .

Old 04-03-2015, 12:40 AM
Beginning Member

OK thanks for the reply. Tomorrow I think i'll swap the Envoy's cluster in and see if the light works then.. If it doesn't the module is next?? And if it works I can solder a new bulb in right?

Old 04-03-2015, 02:06 AM
Starting Member
DaveHearne is on a distinguished road

I'm not 100% sure but I think I read in one of my manuals somewhere that if the instrument cluster is swapped out then it needs to be programmed to the vehicle or it won't start. At the very least a 30 minute relearn needs to be carried out. The same applies for the VCM or BCM if they are swapped.

It sounds likely that just the airbag LED has failed, especially if you get no SRS codes.

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.

Old 04-03-2015, 03:53 AM
Beginning Member

I've swapped clusters in my old blazer and a friends jimmy so he could have a tac and it was fine.. ive also put a junkyard BCM in my envoy and it didn't need programmed or flashed.. I think it depends on your power options and such whether it needs to be programmed or not. But im hoping its just the LED i'll know tomorrow. Thanks

Old 04-03-2015, 12:59 PM
Starting Member
DaveHearne is on a distinguished road

Maybe I read wrong.
Also, mine is a UK-spec RHD Blazer which (along with some other export models) came with a slightly different immobilizer system so maybe that can affect what does or doesn't work if certain items are replaced or swapped?
Also, what you say about different power options makes sense as these are often programmed into the BCM.
Hopefully the solution to your problem will be a case of simply replacing a blown LED.

Old 04-03-2015, 09:26 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DaveHearne
I'm not 100% sure but I think I read in one of my manuals somewhere that if the instrument cluster is swapped out then it needs to be programmed to the vehicle or it won't start. At the very least a 30 minute relearn needs to be carried out. The same applies for the VCM or BCM if they are swapped.

It sounds likely that just the airbag LED has failed, especially if you get no SRS codes.

Someone please correct me if i'm wrong.
On 2nd Gen S&T body, the only thing that can be programmed in the Instrument Panel Cluster, (IPC) is the odometer. Mileage is burned into and retained by the IPC logic module. It can only be reprogrammed using a Tech2 scanner with the correct software, (GM Dealer only). The IPC can not cause a no-start. Disconnecting the battery, (for any length of time) does not erase history file DTC's, or relearn any module except the TCCM. **NV136 & NV236 transfer case DTC's are stored in the BCM.

Old 04-03-2015, 10:57 PM
Beginning Member

OK so I swapped the cluster from the envoy in and everything else worked but the airbag light.. swapped the bravadas cluster into the envoy and the light came on, flashed and went out, so its not in the cluster.. has to be the module... And thats the little box that says" airbag sensor" on it right? under the amp and cd changer in the center console...??
Also does the body control module have anything to do with the airbags? I had a 98 blazer a few years ago and one day none of the interior lights, locks and a few other options would work, and the passlock was enabled and it wouldnt start. I swapped in a wrecking yard one from another 98 and found a burned chip in the old one and new one worked great. A few months ago the bravadas alarm started going off and i went out and went to start it to shut it off and it had the same symptoms as the old blazer ( no start no lights and beeper acting weird.) Went out later and everything was fine, hasn't done anything weird since. I am wondering if this airbag thing might have something to do with the BCM..?
Thanks

Last edited by 99EnvoyBravada; 04-03-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:05 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

WARNING: Working with Air Bag circuitry is dangerous. It can cause air bag deployment which can be lethal! Continue at your own risk.

The air bag module is under the center console. The air bag module and BCM are both connected to the network. In the instrument fuse panel: Fuse #16, (SIR) supplies voltage through a yellow wire to pin #10 at the air bag module. It must show battery voltage in the START and RUN positions of the ignition switch. Fuse #4, (GUAGES) supplies voltage to the air bag warning light, (via the IPC printed circuit board) and also to the BCM, through a pink wire. It must show battery voltage in the START and RUN positions of the ignition switch. The air bag module supplies ground to the warning light to illuminate the LED through a brown wire at pin #7 on the module. If you disconnect the air bag module and ground pin #7, the LED must illuminate. If it doesn't, there is an open circuit somewhere between the air bag module pin #7 and the IPC connector "B" pin #12. If the LED illuminates, I would suspect the air bag module is faulty.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:09 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the in-depth reply Captain Hook. So today i have tried two verified junkyard BCM's and both started the bravada fine but both still no airbag light. Then I went and an airbag module and plugged it in, same thing no light. So i dont think its the BCM or the module.. must be the wiring to the module from the cluster an fusebox. Ill report back when I do the grounding of the brown wire/ pin 7. So just to recap, its not the cluster, fuse, module, bcm, or wiring to sensors and airbags. So it must be a power issue to the module. The wiring looks like it runs under the drivers side carpet.. Which it did have standing water in it when i bought it due to bad weather stripping.... so maybe thats it.. Thanks

Quick Reply: Airbag light never comes on?