2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Airbag removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 05:31 PM
northern 666 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Airbag removal

Hi all,
I am new to the board but have been reading all the post,
I own a1997 and 2000 Jimmy.
I am half way through replacing the multifunction switch on the 2000,
I have disabled the yellow airbag connector and battery.
I am at the point of removing the airbag.
My 1997 had clips the 2000 has two torx bolts which i removed.
My question is how do i get the airbag out now from this point?
Thanks Ross

Old 05-10-2007, 09:17 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Airbag removal

Document ID# 374071
2000 GMC Truck Jimmy - 4WD

[hr]
Disabling the SIR System
[ol][align=left]Turn the steering wheel so that the vehicle's wheels are pointing straight ahead. [/align][align=left]Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position. [/align][align=left]Remove the key from the ignition switch. [/align]
Important[align=left]With the SIR Fuse removed and the ignition switch in the ON position, The AIR BAG warning lamp illuminates. This is normal operation, and does not indicate an SIR system malfunction.[/align]

[align=left]Remove the SIR Fuse from the IP fuse block. [/align][align=left]Remove the left sound insulator, if equipped. Refer to Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement - Center in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console. [/align][align=left]Remove the knee bolster. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Knee Bolster in Instrument Panel, Gauges and Console.
[/align][align=left]Disconnect the driver yellow 2-way connector located at the base of the steering column. [/align][align=left]Open the IP compartment door, lift stop and allow door to fully open.

[/align][align=left]Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) from the passenger yellow 2-way connector located behind the glove box. [/align][align=left]Disconnect the passenger yellow 2-way connector located behind the glove box. [/align][/ol]
[hr]
Document ID# 529186
2000 GMC Truck Jimmy -4WD

[hr]
Inflatable Restraint Steering Wheel Module Replacement
Removal Procedure
[ol]Caution
This vehicle is equipped with a Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) System. Failure to follow the correct procedure could cause the following conditions:[*]Air bag deployment[*]Personal injury[*]Unnecessary SIR system repairs
[ul][/ul]
In order to avoid the above conditions, observe the following guidelines:[*]Refer to SIR Component Views in order to determine if you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring.[*]If you are performing service on or near the SIR components or the SIR wiring, disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System in SIR.
[ul][/ul]

Disable the SIR system. Refer to Disabling the SIR System .
Turn the ignition switch to the ON position in order to unlock the steering wheel.

Turn the steering wheel 90degrees from the straight-ahead position in order to gain access to the access holes behind the steering wheel.

Insert a flat-bladed tool into each access hole and push the leaf spring to release the pin that retains the inflator module.

Turn the steering wheel 180degrees in order to gain access to the remaining access holes.
Insert a screwdriver into each access holes and push the leaf spring to release the pin that retains the inflator module.

Tilt the top of the inflator module rearward to gain access to the SIR wiring.
Disconnect the SIR lead wire from the clip on the inflator module.
Disconnect the SIR lead wire from the clip on the steering wheel.

Disconnect the connector position assurance (CPA) retainer.
Disconnect the electrical connector.
Remove the inflator module from the vehicle.
Fully deploy the module before disposal. If the module was replaced under warranty, fully deploy and dispose of the module after the required retention period. Refer to Inflator Module Handling, Shipping, and Scrapping . [/ol]
Installation Procedure

Connect the SIR electrical connector.
Connect the CPA retainer to the SIR connector.
Install the SIR lead wire to the clip on the steering wheel.
Install the SIR lead wire to the clip on the inflator module.

Important
Ensure that the SIR wires do not get pinched during installation of the inflator module.

Press the inflator module into the steering wheel firmly enough that the module engages and latches the notched pins in the leaf springs.
R

Old 05-10-2007, 11:54 PM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Northern 666
Whoevergave you the information about removing the air bag to replace the MF switch was incorrect.

Youdon'thave to remove the Air Bag when replacing the Multifunction Switch.
Just disconnect the batteryand pull the SIR fuse.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:32 AM
northern 666 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ha Dino55
Thanks for the heads up.
I got the switch out last night with out removal of the airbag.
Just had to shorten up a #25 torx for the lower bolt.
Thanks for the help.

P.S. I only had a 1997 G.M. service manual which says you have to remove airbag for MF switch.
Is this true on the 1997's?
Thanks again Ross

Old 05-11-2007, 09:01 PM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Nothern 666
This is not true, There is no need to remove the Air Bag on a 1997 when changing the Multifunction Switch.....