2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Another with hard to start when hot issues - Possible fix

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 08:45 AM
cage47 is on a distinguished road
Default Another with hard to start when hot issues - Possible fix

Hey, well I've been going for the past couple months since replacing the fuel pump. That part has been fixed. I know that that pump had issues. But lately I've had the common problem of it not wanting to start when it's hot. And it's not an all-the-time thing. Only on occassion after driving a while, when it's hot (the truck, not necessarily outside) It doesn't want to start. Now once I've gotten it started there are no problems. No hesitations, no bogging.

I've noticed though that when it does this if I try to give it gas by pushing the pedal down it feels like the pedal is stuck. Now I had already once cleaned the butterfly valve in the intake. It was fairly gunked up. I noticed that up north. So that is clean. But I thought maybe it being stuck is due to suction. Like it's not getting any air. Hence the idle air control valve. If the butterfly vavle was gunked up the IAC might be as well. (Originally I was beginning to think a bad coil or icm)

So yesterday I took it out (again) and cleaned it down to shiny metal with WD40. And sprayed some in the port and with paper towels cleaned the seat as good as I could get it. Well driving yesterday, so far it didn't give me a lick of trouble. And we had a little driving to do. Not once did it refuse to start. So I'll keep testing it and let y'all know how it goes. Just something for others to consider as it's an easy fix. Couldn't hurt to check just in case.