Go Back   Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums > Mechanical & Maintenance > General Tech Help > 2nd Gen S-series (1995-2005) Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Blazer Forum!
Welcome to Blazer Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Blazer Forum today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Starting Member

tlbrummett is on a distinguished road
Question antifreeze leak on top of motor

My 96' 4x4 v-6 vortec engine has just starting leaking antifreeze there isnt any on the ground but i smell it and when i look for the leak there is antifreeze laying on top of the engine. I havent been having an overheating problem, the heat works and i dont smell antifreeze inside the vehicle. Now today When i turn it off the engine starts smoking and the temperature goes up but as soon as i turn it back on the temperature goes down and the smoking stops. Please if anyone has any idea water pump? thermostate? head gasket? heater core? im at a total loss. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-09-2010, 11:44 AM
Administrator
2013 Cadillac ATS

rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Upper radiator hose leak/connection, thermostat gasket leak, intake manifold gasket leak. One of those.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Starting Member
2001 GMC Jimmy
My Garage

truesmack is an unknown quantity at this point

Thermostat is a good place to check I just had that issue, I replaced it while I was in there and leak stopped, but could also be a hose and any of before mentioned things, good luck.
Old 04-09-2010, 04:09 PM
2002 Chevrolet Blazer

mykeboy01 is on a distinguished road

150k is the limit for the intake manifold. Mine on my 1998 went at 152k. I was driving (January in New England), and lost my heat. Then, my truck was overheating. I got the smell of anti-freeze in the cab, so I pulled over and popped the hood. I swear, it was peeing out of the top of my engine, near the throttle body, where it was pooling. I noticed a loss of antifreeze before, and had the smell, but ignored it for the time being, contributing it to a hose leak. BIG (and expensive) MISTAKE!!! Cracked my engine block in the process...
(#1) 1998 Blazer LS 4-door - 11/03-6/09 - sold @ 161k (my first car!)
(#2) 2002 Blazer LS 4-door - 1/09-present - 120k & lucky she's cute!!! (WORK IN PROGRESS)
Wishlist - Camaro SS or Corvette Z06 Rims / Fender Flares (Euro Spec.) / Aftermarket Sunroof
Old 05-20-2010, 05:26 PM
Beginning Member

rasputinlv is on a distinguished road

Does coolant go thru intake manifolds? Would it leak from intake gaskets?
thanks.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:48 PM
1984 Chevrolet Blazer
My Garage

84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Yes, it could like seen in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI2FH6034sQ
Old 05-20-2010, 10:43 PM
Beginning Member

is it common on blazer/s10 98? which one will leak upper or lower?
mine has 110K on it.
thanks for reply.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:19 AM

portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes its common on all the gm4.3s the lower intake gasket will either breach since they used a nylon gasket with very little gasket or the rtv seals leak. They most commonly leak at the front and back of the intake near the bolts holding it down. I just changed mine because it was leaking out some and into the crankcase; the old gasket is a joke compared to the fel pro perma seal gasket.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Starting Member

R134A is on a distinguished road

PORTCQB is absolutely correct. The stock intake manifold gaskets are garbage. I just changed mine on my 2000 Jimmy and the felpro gasket are great. Clean anti freeze off of intake and put a pressure tester on it and pressurize your cooling system and you will find the leak real quick. Good luck!
Old 05-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Beginning Member

Thank you guys for your help!
Old 05-22-2010, 11:20 AM

Closed Thread

Tags
anti, antifreeze, blazer, cheverlot, chevrolet, chevy, engine, freeze, intake, leak, leaking, manifold, motor, top, youtube