2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

automatic transfer case fluid

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 05:04 PM
Starting Member
kmartin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default automatic transfer case fluid

Referring to my previous post, "Automatic Transfer Case Question", I have did nothing about the fluid that the mechanic put in my 2003 Chevy Blazers Auto transfer case. To give an abbreviated story of what happened, I brought my Blazer in for fluid changes to my mechanic at around 50,000 miles. I told him that the my transfer case takes special fluids. When I returned, he told me he put in Wolfs head synthetic universal ATF and assured me that its comparable to GMs autotrac ii. In the forum I opened then, you said that should of not been done. I just left it go and now I have 99600 miles on it. The transfer case so far did not show any problems. Now I need to change again and I have read a bunch of stuff saying not to use anything else, even if they say you can and making me wish I should of pushed the issue further back them.

1. By now, could any unknown damage have happened that did not appear?

2. Would putting Autotrak ii back in be a good thing?

3. I really don't trust anybody on this issue anymore, what would I need to replace the fluid myself? I would probably have half the tools already.

Old 01-12-2014, 05:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Autotrak 2 is made to keep the clutch pack healthy under the conditions seen in the transfer case. Too much lubricity and the clutches will slip and wear out prematurely. Too little and the clutch would grab prematurely causing some drive-ability concerns (binding while steering in Auto4wd is the most common complaint).

I would recommend two fluid changes using Autotrak 2 for the added insurance of it. You will need just shy of 2 qts per change and it isn't that terrible expensive compared to a clutch pack change.

Pull both the fill & drain plugs on the back of the transfer case (fill is the higher of the two). Let it drain out, then reinstall the drain plug. Fill the t-case up until fluid starts to flow out of the fill port, then reinstall the fill plug.

Drive it for 250-500 miles using Auto4wd periodically & allowing the 4wd to activate (drive on loose gravel or grass while intentionally attempting to spin the tires) to work the clutches. Then service the transfer case again and you should be good to go.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:22 PM
Starting Member

Hi swartlkk,
Thanks for your response. I guess you are still around, have not heard anything out of you in a long time. I should of listened to you from day 1 even though I haven't had any problem with the 4wd system. I view my garage as professional, and should know. I ain't going to say he was dishonest, just went for what his suppliers rep said.

Old 01-12-2014, 08:25 PM
Starting Member

I watched some videos on changing transfer case fluids. To put the fluid in for a blazer, which way would you put fluid in, a pump or a funnel?

Old 01-12-2014, 10:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have the
Flotool 10106 spout Flotool 10106 spout
that I use for axles & transfer cases. It allows you to position the bottle up higher that the fill port and let gravity do it's thing with the fluid.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:16 PM
Starting Member

I took a look at my 2003 chevy Blazers fill hole and its just seems that I may have a hard time getting my fluid bottle higher than the fill hole. Any other suggestion, or how to use the Flotool.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:03 PM
Administrator

I have used that very tool (the link in my signature above) to fill transfer cases on at least 4 s-series vehicles and many others without issue. I also used it on a C5 Corvette to fill the transmission. Space is nearly non-existent under one of those.

The bottle will be nearly on its side when you have it up in there. You just need to have the opening of the bottle low enough to drain out.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:14 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

I have good luck with this thing: Performance Tools Fluid Oil Pump W1139: Shop the best Gear Oil Pump at Advance Auto Parts

But at one ounce per pump, it takes a while.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:44 PM
Starting Member

Well, today the day i changed the fluid in my transfer case, but didn't go not so good. Sucks. First called the dealer and he told me the autotrac ii is $8.99 quart. Went to buy and they wanted to charge me more, like $10.50. I told them this is what he told me this week and he gave that price to me. Although still expensive and understand that some people in this forum don't want to lose a drop, well I figured that won't happen today and lost quite many of drops. Someone tell me how you can do this without losing a drop.

I bought what swartlkk recommended, Flotool 10106 spout great tool but don't understand how to use it in this application. Plus, the spout is not long enough to go in my transfer case hole, causing some of my first drops to be lost. So I went to Advance Auto for the Performance Tools Fluid Oil Pump W1139: Shop the best Gear Oil Pump at Advance Auto Parts in Captains Hook recommendation. It was only great for the first couple of pumps and started oozing fluid out of the pump. What a piece of junk.

Ok, I ran out of time so I will finish. Yes, Captain Hook I did take it back, got a refund because I didn't trust getting another one. I went to my local hardware store and got this: Plews 1-Qt. Lubrimatic Fluid Pump and it worked. Look almost like it, could of been made in the same place. So got the fluid in my vehicle. And a mess. I think maybe next time I let it to a mechanic with strict orders to use Autotrak ii and maybe even get some for them.

Last edited by kmartin; 01-18-2014 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:44 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Take it back and exchange it for another one. Mine works fine, used it many times. Another option, but it takes two people: stuff a 5' piece of 3/8" rubber hose onto a funnel. Stick the end of the hose into the fill hole, and have the assistant pour fluid into the funnel while standing next to the vehicle. Takes a while, but you don't lose any fluid if you're careful.

Quick Reply: automatic transfer case fluid