2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Back Liftgate Won't Open

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 12:44 PM
jnunez is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Back Liftgate Won't Open

My vehicle is a 1999 4 door blazer LS. I have the version where the glass lifts up and the hatch lifts up when opened, like a minivan. The glass pops open when I hit the switch on the dash or on the remote but the hatch will not open, stays locked. I checked the fuses and they are ok. Is there anything I can do to get the hatch opened without cutting through the rear panel and creating an access panel to get to the lock in the bottom of the hatch and manually unlocking it / replacing it ? I have read many threads discussing this issue but they usually pertain to either the glass not popping open or the version with the glass up-tailgate down . Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There used to be a thread around here about how to get it popped open. The tailgate versions have a small little hole under the carpet. Some liftgate versions have this as well. On mine, I would have had to drill a hole.

Here are some pictures showing where to drill if you cannot find a hole behind the bottom edge of the carpet.

As far as the hole goes, If you place it sufficiently away from either corner, you should be able to find a trim panel plug in the same color/texture at a junkyard that will hide the hole and offer up easy access if the problem were to happen again. My Rainier has such a plug in the rear cover that was put there for what I do not doubt as this exact purpose.

Also, a picture of what it looks like inside:

The lock tab is in the red circle while the latch is in the yellow circle. The lock actuator is your likely problem. Could be a weak actuator or it could be a problem with the unlock signal to the actuator itself.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:57 PM
jnunez is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Kyle for the quick reply and pics. I will work on it this weekend. As always this site helps you solve the problem or steers you in the right direction.