2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer cranks over and starts but stops running immediately

Old 03-21-2008, 05:38 PM
JMAC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blazer cranks over and starts but stops running immediately

2001 Chevrolet Blazer. Truck has been running fine. Today I went to get in it to drive and two things occurred. First, my keyless remote wouldn't unlock the door. So I used the key to open it. I went to start the motor and it cranks and runs for about 1/2 second. I did notice the security light sometimes stays on. Then with the key in the run mood the dash likes seem to blink. Also, inside the truck the electric door lock will lock the driver door but won't unlock it. All the other doors unlock when you hit the unlock button on the door but not the drivers door. So you think this is all realted to a pass lock problem and that is why the truck won't run? Or ignitoin problem? It also makes a weird lil chirping noise by the fuse box while it is doing this. Just lookin for some ideas. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Jerry

Old 03-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Blazer cranks over and starts but stops running immediately

My first thought would be that your RKE module is flaking out on you. Try unplugging it (it is located above the drivers hush panel) and see if your problems continue.

Here is a picture that shows where the RKE module is:

If that has no affect on the problems you are experiencing, my next thought would be that it is an ignition switch problem, but the fact that the door locks are affected is puzzling to me as the ignition switch typically will only affect starting, gauges and other accessories inside.

Old 03-21-2008, 07:55 PM

thanks for the reply.... Is the drivers hush panel the plastic panel that is under the steering wheel. If you have the ignition on then there is a constant faint clicking noise come from this area. Thanks for any help.

Jerry

Old 03-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, the driver side hush panel is the plastic panel that is above the gas & brake pedals.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:26 PM

thanks Kyle, I found the RKE. It was actually unplugged. don' tknow how that could of happened since the last time I drove it. Anyway, plugged it back up but still nothing. The remote doesn't operate anything at all. You still have to lock and unlock the doors with the switches on the door. And then it won't unlock the driver door. My main problem is still the Blazer will not run. It will turn over, engine fires and runs but turns right back off. Just like it is out of gas. When you have the key in the run position. There is a clicking noise right above the hush panel you are referring to. If you feel around up there you can feel it coming from the junction box that is located up above the driver's kick panel. This is the box that has all (or alot) of electrical wires going into it. I don't know what could be clicking in this box though. Have any suggestions as to if this could be the ignition switch causing this or is there something else I am missing here? Thanks. Jerry

Old 03-22-2008, 09:52 AM
Administrator

The next step I would take would be to replace the ignition switch.

Ignition Switch Replacement - Book Method...

The ignition starter switch is available from a number of sources. You are looking for ACDELCO Part # D1423D {#26070111} or equivalent. From Rockauto.com, this part is ~$60. If you have an AC Delco retailer in your area, you should be able to get it for that price locatlly.

Old 03-22-2008, 12:10 PM

Thanks Kyle. I am leaning that way. I have another scenerio to add to this: I took the breather cap off and poured gas directly into the throttle body. When I started the vehicle it ran longer, until the gas Ihad poured into the throttle body was gone. If you keep pouring gas into it a lil bit at a time the Blazer will continue to run until the gas has gone. What do you think? Is this still leaning towards the ignition switch or something else. The fuel pump works, you can hear it running and the blazer has gas in it for sure. Just any thoughts you have will be appreciated.

thanks,
Jerry

Old 03-22-2008, 12:32 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

When an ignition switch fails and triggers the passlock system (the blinking security light)..the way the passlock system disables the vehicle is by cutting off the fuel supply. By pouring gas into the throttle body you're overriding the cut-off. What your test shows is that your engine is fine...and that you have a failed ignition switch.

Not sure what would cause your door locking issue, but you definitely need a new ignition switch.

Old 03-22-2008, 01:10 PM

Thanks Wolfpack. I have an ignition switch ordered. Suppose to be here tomorrow. I was trying to find a test to where I could be sure the RKE wasn't causing my blazer to not start. Thanks a bunch, you answered that question. Could you tell me that when I get this new ignition switch, does it have all the wires attached to it? Or is it more complexed than just plugging wires back in.

thanks,
Jerry

Old 03-22-2008, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Becareful with the airbag system!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blazer cranks over and starts but stops running immediately