2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

what brand of fuel pump do you recommend?

Old 10-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Beginning Member
hotrodsbyg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what brand of fuel pump do you recommend?

Ok, I hear a lot of problems on fuel pumps on these blazers, and I have a feeling mine is going bad, so what do you suggest to get that will not cause problems down the road?

Old 10-06-2010, 10:35 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Not only Blazers but GMs & many others. Don't waste your time with aftermarket pumps. Use an OEM Delphi pump. They cost a little more but have less problems.
Just a few tips: Never run your gas tank under about 1/4 of a tank. Use a lube like Lucas Injector Cleaner every so often. Buy your gas from the same stations. I say these things because I have never had to replace a pump on any vehicle I have ever bought NEW. In my younger days I bought NEW trucks every few years. Today I drive cheap used Vehicles. Only had to replace one pump & that was in my 97 Blazer 4x4. I have run a Delphi for almost 70,000 miles with no issues.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:00 AM
Starting Member
95Jimmy is on a distinguished road

Delphi or Delco only. I tried a Bosch because it had a lifetime warranty- and it lasted 1 week. I don't enjoy changing fuel pumps that much lol. Only 10,000 miles on this Delphi so far and it's fine. As already mentioned- keep tank above 1/4 to keep pump cool.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:09 AM
Beginning Member

Ok, let me pick your brain a little. I have noticed that if it sits for a long time like 8 hours, it starts up fine. But sometimes, but not all the time, if I drive somewhere and I stop and it sits for hour or just a little more, it takes a while to start. Fuel pump?
Also sometimes it seems to start hard when it cranks up, with long or short. Like a l;oud knock then starts. Any suggestions?

Old 10-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you done a fuel pressure test yet? Sounds like you may have a leak inside the plenum that is causing the engine to flood a bit. Once it sits for an extended period of time, the fuel dissipates and it starts easier. Will it start better after sitting for an hour if you hold the throttle wide open?

Old 10-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Beginning Member

Well, I did clean out the throttle sensor and the egr valve and not long after that is when I noticed the problem happening. Will that give you a better clue? I haven't done the fuel pressure test.

Old 10-07-2010, 11:12 PM
Beginning Member

bttbttbtt

Old 10-07-2010, 11:29 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

The only way to know for sure is a fuel pressure test. I agree with Kyle it might be a leak. When you pressure check the system do a bleed down check also.

Old 10-08-2010, 06:48 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hotrodsbyg
bttbttbtt
How about doing some of the suggested diagnosis instead of just uselessly bumping a post...

Old 10-08-2010, 12:39 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Have you done a fuel pressure test yet? Sounds like you may have a leak inside the plenum that is causing the engine to flood a bit. Once it sits for an extended period of time, the fuel dissipates and it starts easier. Will it start better after sitting for an hour if you hold the throttle wide open?
Well the fuel pressure seems normal. And today I did hold the throttle down wide open to start it one time. So how can this problem be fixed?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what brand of fuel pump do you recommend?