Go Back   Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums > Mechanical & Maintenance > General Tech Help > 2nd Gen S-series (1995-2005) Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Blazer Forum!
Welcome to Blazer Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Blazer Forum today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-22-2009, 11:04 PM
Beginning Member

snaumo is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer coolant replacement

Can anyone explain to me how to drain, flush, and refill the coolant system in my 1999 Chevrolet Blazer? Including the best way to get at the radiator drain plug? I bought DEX-COOL and a bottle of radiator flush. Please be as specific as possible.

Thank You!
Old 08-23-2009, 02:38 PM
Administrator
2009 GMC Yukon Denali
My Garage

swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via ICQ to swartlkk Send a message via AIM to swartlkk

A quick search should give you a number of good ideas. Try terms like "flush", "radiator+flush", "drain", and/or "radiator+drain".
Old 08-23-2009, 11:45 PM
Beginning Member

snaumo is on a distinguished road

Can't find anything specific enough
Old 08-24-2009, 12:21 AM

bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

STAY AWAY FROM DEX-COOL!!!! IT WILL CORRODE YOUR INSIDES OF YOUR ENGINE!!! drain and flush the system out with the garden hose and run the truck for a little then do it again...then go buy Preston GREEN antifreeze and put 60% distilled water and 40 Green antifreeze..........
Old 08-24-2009, 08:52 AM
Administrator
2009 GMC Yukon Denali
My Garage

swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddykane93 View Post
STAY AWAY FROM DEX-COOL!!!! IT WILL CORRODE YOUR INSIDES OF YOUR ENGINE!!! drain and flush the system out with the garden hose and run the truck for a little then do it again...then go buy Preston GREEN antifreeze and put 60% distilled water and 40 Green antifreeze..........
Untrue in many respects. If you want to understand where this type of fanatical comment comes from, read through the WHO'S HAD GOOD LUCK WITH DEX-COOL thread in its entirety then if you feel like sticking with that *opinion*, post in that thread. The generally accepted recommended mix is 50/50. For warmer climates, 60/40 distilled water to concentrated coolant may be allowable, but before making statements like that, you may want to take a look at where the OP lives.

So, back to the topic at hand... What, specifically, is it that you are having trouble with? Or would you just like someone to walk you through the whole process before hand...? It is really not too difficult. Just get in there and have at it.
Old 08-24-2009, 03:29 PM
1996 Chevrolet Blazer

Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

I went to harborfrieght tools and bought this little kit that has a funnel thing and some fittings and a T. you put the T in your heater line then hook a garden hose to it. then you put the funnel in your RAD fillup hole and turn on the hose. it makes a mess though, lol. it sprays all the rad juices all over infront of the truck, lol. but in my opinion if its really dirty in the coolant system youll need to pull your large rad hose and wash it out as it collects alot of the "chunks" in the system. also if the system has alot of "chunks" you may want to pull other hoses too. I say this because if you force those "chunks" through the system u may damage the internals, ie rad or heater.

also it seams to be a little know secret, but the rad drain plug is an alanhead.

Project: Silver Fox - Rear(Ford 8.8, Open), 4.10/11 Gears, 6" Superlift, 33x12.5x15 BFGs, 15x8 Cragar Soft 8s, On-Board Air, Redtop+Yellowtop
Oh! My other cars? They are all Z26s
Old 08-24-2009, 07:57 PM
Administrator
2009 GMC Yukon Denali
My Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly_Monkey View Post
also it seams to be a little know secret, but the rad drain plug is an alanhead.
My 2000 Bravada rad drain plug was a 1/4" square drive. My 1/4" drive 4" extension fit right in and worked great. Also worth noting that it is only a 1/4 turn valve. Turn more and it'll come out in your hand. It is "fun" to put back in.

The easiest method to drain the coolant is to disconnect the lower radiator hose. It definitely is not the neatest way though.
Old 08-25-2009, 03:26 AM
1996 Chevrolet Blazer

Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartlkk View Post
My 2000 Bravada rad drain plug was a 1/4" square drive.
haha! I think your right I think thats what I actualy meant! oops =P

Project: Silver Fox - Rear(Ford 8.8, Open), 4.10/11 Gears, 6" Superlift, 33x12.5x15 BFGs, 15x8 Cragar Soft 8s, On-Board Air, Redtop+Yellowtop
Oh! My other cars? They are all Z26s
Old 08-25-2009, 03:26 AM

Closed Thread

Tags
1999, 2000, 96, blazer, chevrolet, chevy, coolant, cost, drain, engine, flush, kinds, plug, radiator, remove