2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer cranks but won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 09:28 PM
jigger is on a distinguished road

Glad to hear it! Merry Christmas!

Old 01-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Beginning Member
Rhodes19 is on a distinguished road

Hi jigger,

Thanks and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you too. Sorry I didn't respond sooner but for some reason I do not get email notifications when some one post to a subscribed thread even though I do have that option turned on.

Well, part II.

Just got back from picking my daughter up at her boyfriends. Her car would not start and it sounds like the same symptoms. It will turn over but won't catch. It is parked on an incline so I thought that might be the issue but she said it has started before. I couldn't work on it be cause it was dark, no out door lights and the parking brake won't release. Lever comes all the way out with no resistance so I figure its broken too.

To add to the fun, my daughter now informes me that her Blazer is starting to get sluggesh on accelleration and that the check engin light comes on every so often. I'll start another post for this one.

Old 01-01-2010, 07:46 PM

Sorry to hear that. Next step is probably the fuel pump.
What you might be able to do to get it going is have someone turn the key to ON and at the same time wollop the bottom of the fuel tank with a rubber mallet. What happens is the pump gets stuck and won't turn on, the vibration from the mallet will sometimes break it loose. This isn't a fix only a bandaid.
When you drop the tank be careful with the vent hoses, there is one at the front of the tank that none of the books tell you about and it has a real short hose on it. When you put it back use a NEW piece of vac hose about a foot long, this makes it easier to install/remove. Also with some of the pumps they suggest new wire harness for inside the tank-GOOD IDEA! Don't forget to put a new sock on it also.
Good luck!!

Old 01-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks jigger, I'll give that a try tomorrow when I get back up there. Keep your fingers crossed.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:21 AM
KRUSHER is on a distinguished road

I've read through this post and have not seen any mention of the distributor cap, rotary button replacement. The reason i say this is because it sounds very similar to my 2001 blazer when I first got it. It had sat up for a year or two and we had trouble cranking it to get it on a trailer. after about 2 or 3 hours of tinkering with it it fired up but VERY roughly. it went dead again but got it running again and got it loaded on trailer. I figured the injectors may be a bit clogged from sitting up. We stopped at a gas station and put some high octane in it and jumped it off again while on the trailer and adjusted the idle screw to keep it running. Drove (with it still running on the trailer) to the next exit. It seamed to be running better so I took it off and drove it about 30 miles the rest of the way home. The next morning it cranked fine and drove it 3 or 4 more times that day. didn't mess with it the next day but the 3rd day it wouldn't crank, only hit every so often. Spark was intermittent. I heard that they didn't run well on aftermarket ignition parts so I went and got AC Delco cap & button. put them on (done nothing else) and it cranked right up and been running fine ever since, and thats been over a year ago. Just thought I'd throw this at you about the cap and button. It would be easier and cheaper than a pump. *sorry it was kinda long*

Old 01-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks Krusher, I appreciate the info. I checked most of that and the I think most of that was replace about 3 years ago. I do get spark so I think I'm ok there. However, I got 0 psi on the pressure gauge this time so I think it might be the pump.

Ok,

I just got back from my daughter's blazer. The parking brake was an easy fix. The release cable from the pull handle slipped out of its hook so I put it back in and the release works fine now.

On the other hand, I got 0 psi at the fuel test port. When I pressed the release valve, I got a little spurt of gas but not much. I tried starting it again I got another spurt of gas but that was it. I put the gage on twice and tried to start the blazer but got no reading on the gage. I didn't hear the fuel pump cycle on or off today either so I am thinking its the pump.

Does that sound about right?

Last edited by rriddle3; 01-02-2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 01-02-2010, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rhodes19
Thanks Krusher, I appreciate the info. I checked most of that and the I think most of that was replace about 3 years ago. I do get spark so I think I'm ok there. However, I got 0 psi on the pressure gauge this time so I think it might be the pump.
Be sure and check the electrical connections to the pump as well for tightness and corrosion. On the cap idea, mine "looked good" and I even cleaned all the terminals inside but didn't help. is your spark consistently sparking and blue in color?

Old 01-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by KRUSHER
Be sure and check the electrical connections to the pump as well for tightness and corrosion. On the cap idea, mine "looked good" and I even cleaned all the terminals inside but didn't help. is your spark consistently sparking and blue in color?
I'll check the electrical to the pump. Didn't do that before because I could hear it come on. The spark was constiantly sparking and was blue. What a pita to get the spark plug wires off though. I'm still hurting!!! LOL

Old 01-02-2010, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Rhodes19
I'll check the electrical to the pump. Didn't do that before because I could hear it come on. The spark was constiantly sparking and was blue. What a pita to get the spark plug wires off though. I'm still hurting!!! LOL
They are hard to get to. going through the wheel well from outside the vehicle helps. I'll let you come help replace my heater blower motor ! LOL That's going to be a "fun" job, not looking forward to it. Maybe it will hold out till warmer weather. LOL

Old 01-02-2010, 07:46 PM

Rhodes did you try the rubber mallet yet? That might get it home if it isn't there.

Quick Reply: Blazer cranks but won't start