2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer Keeps Stalling When Stopped

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Beginning Member
Cassera is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer Keeps Stalling When Stopped

I have a 96 chevy blazer. Whenever the vehicle is stopped it always has a rough idle to the point where the car shakes, the lights go dim and sometimes it even shuts off. I find myself having to slightly hit the gas while im stopped to keep it from shaking and or stalling. It seems like the idle might be a bit low? Whenever I take off from a stop, the vehicle takes a bit to get moving because it is too busy sputtering and it seems like its almost not tuned right?

What could be wrong? Also I've read that you cant raise the idle because its electronic and you should drive for 5 minutes at 40 mph to reset the idle?

Another thing, the throttle cables that connect to the throttle body and control the throttle seem like they are a bit loose like they have a little bit of slack in them. Could this be the problem? Maybe since the cables arent tighter the throttle is pretty much all the way shut when im idling and that is what is causing my car to sputter and stall?

I showed it to my brother, he took the filter off the intake and disconnected the intake from the throttle body just to inspect the inside of the intake. He put it back then after that it was fine for about 2 days then it went back to stalling and sputtering. I really think it has something to do with the intake somehow.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:03 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

I would look into the idle air control valve (iac). As well as a new distributor cap and rotor

Old 02-17-2013, 07:38 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

If I assume that there is high mileage on your Blazer then in addition to the above, time for a complete tune-up package. Also clean the throttle body IAC air passage. A new IAC might be required or it could just be dirty.

The throttle cables are not real tight, there is just a little slack in them. Doubt there is anything wrong with them. Taking the air intake off involves removing a couple of hoses and and electrical connectors.....need to check that the hoses are where they are supposed to be and that the electrical connectors have no broken wires, pushed-out pins, fully seated, etc.

Rule out the simple stuff first.

Be sure to ONLY use GM / Delco rotor and distributor cap parts or you'll be replacing these parts within a year.

Last edited by LannyL81; 02-17-2013 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:12 AM
Beginning Member
Cassera is on a distinguished road

Okay, I will change the distributor cap and possibly the wires also today. I am unable to do the plugs due to limited tools (we all know that pita plug on the drivers side behind steering column) but i recently changed them about 5 months ago. As far as the IAC, where is it located and what does it look like? I will change that also. Btw I heard my car backfire for the first time yesterday
Raising the idle didnt help btw. I will keep you guys posted!

Old 02-17-2013, 08:25 AM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

The iac is inside of the throttle body. You can see the electrical connections on the side. One is the throttle position sensor the other is the iac.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:16 AM
Twip will become famous soon enough

i hate to say it but i could be your fuel pump. on my old 95 it would do the same thing. run fine down the road, but stall at stop lights, stop signs, and it even did it leaving the gas station a few times. luckily when i figured out that the pump was getting weak i had almost zero gas in it. so you might want to check your fuel pressure just to make sure.