2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer Stuck in Park - after install of fog lights?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 11:38 PM
Starting Member
shotnva777 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Blazer Stuck in Park - after install of fog lights?

That's pretty much what it is! I don't know what happened or if these two things are even related... but after some research it seems it could be! Somehow the wiring in the brake lights will keep the thing from coming out of park?

Odd thing is, is as soon as I installed the fog lights via the lower turn signal bulb on the the headlight cluster..... I took it for a spin with NO problems, other than the turn signals not working. I didn't even think that would affect that aspect of that light (if anything I thought it would just make the one foglight blink as if it was a spliced in blinker). I planned to change it to a switch tomorrow, I just wanted to get them mounted and in the right position tonight, I got anxious as usual!

Here's what I think happened. It was all fine until I tried to hit the blinker, then it blew a fuse (possibly my brakelight fuse?!) and since I havent tried to move it since that time I'm just now realizing it. I haven't had a chance to check and see if the brakelights' lights are glowing when pressed... so I guess I'm SOL until tomorrow! Oh and there is a semi loud clicking sound under the dash, as I push the brake/try to put it in gear!

Long story short.... anyone had this problem and found a fix? Anyone know of any fuses/relays that couldv'e blown with this setup? I just wanted to throw it out there and see what yall got before I start ripping off the dash, panels, foglights, headlights, fuse boxes, etc....

ANYONE.... help is appreciated and thanked ahead of time!

Old 10-22-2011, 10:50 AM
Starting Member

Wow NO ONE???

EDIT: I unplugged the fog lights and still nothing, so obviously not the culprit? Fuse for brake lights are good. Any relays? Remember though their is a click under the dash, almost sounds like something shorting out (though obviously its not!). ANYTHING?

Last edited by shotnva777; 10-22-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 11:04 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

You've been around long enough to know by now that we don't sit around waiting for the next thread to pop up so we can answer it. Your urgency does not compute to an instant answer. Please wait 24 hours to bump a thread if it hasn't been answered yet.

What research have you done on your own already? You haven't had a chance to see if the brakelights are glowing yet but you've had time to sit down, post about it, and bump it 12ish hours later? Have you replaced the fuse that blew?

Not sure why you wired it into the turn signals to begin with. Blazers did come equipped with fog lights from the factory - you could have pulled a switch from the junkyard with the accompanying wiring and maintained a factory look.

Old 10-22-2011, 11:13 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Jeez... you've been on here a while and you participate a fair amount.
Dont you ever read the problems people have with the Multi-function switch?
First undo everthing you did.

I spent a fair amount of my career designing and troubleshooting electronics logic. So take it from me, you dont screw around with ANYTHING that goes through the MFS, it's a ****!
- unless you're a pinball mechanic for 50 and 60's era machines, that is. I wont even LOOK at them, myself.

I suggest maybe you tripped off the inevitable. We know your brake switch works because of the clicking when you press the brake, and the clicking is pretty common symptom of a bad hazard section of the MFS.

Cycle and wiggle the hazard switch a few times after you take those lights off and see what happens. Could be you'll get off cheap and that part's all you will need.

Last edited by pettyfog; 10-22-2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:40 PM
Starting Member

Whoa whoa guys... ****, I really thought this forum was to help people out?? I was just updating yall on what I've done and asking advice, why do I get JUMPED down the throat? It wasn't even an intentional bump, more like an update - once again. And hasn't it been about 24 hrs since I posted the original thread. I don't know why all of the hostility towards me all the sudden is about....

No fuses are blown, I said that... I'm asking if there is anohter fuse I should be looking for or some type of switch! The fog lights had BEEN disconnected as well.... still a problem.

Old 10-22-2011, 12:43 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Now you've got your indignation out of the way...

The MFS hazard switch?

Old 10-22-2011, 02:40 PM
Starting Member

NM..... My local advance auto parts helped me figure out the problem, so everything's back to normal and I'm wiring a switch to the fog lights as we speak.

.... Oh and it was the hazard fuse that caused all the problems, such a simple answer!

Last edited by shotnva777; 10-22-2011 at 10:52 PM.