2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer won't start when wet

Old 10-27-2011, 10:12 AM
chmason is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blazer won't start when wet

I have a 1997 Blazer that won't start when it rains and the motor is cold. I replaced the plugs, wires, Distributer cap and rotor. I can leave the Blazer sit for a couple of days after it's rained, and it will start. I have verified that there is no problem with the fuel pump. When the vehicle isn't starting I can pull one of the plugs out, ground it out and get spark. When the Blazer does start it's not throwing any codes.

I'm kind of stumped, any help would be grateful.

Thanks.
Chad

Old 10-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Speedwrench88 is on a distinguished road

You said that you cked the spark & it fires, correct?

Is it a random spark or steady?

Did you also ck the fuel pres?

Give me some info so I can help.

Did you install a good quality cap & rotor?

A good set should have set you back $50-$75

Good ones are NAPA & GM Parts

Old 10-27-2011, 10:21 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

when you replaced the ignition products did you use any after market products

these trucks crave for ac delco ignition products

also ngk plugs are good for these engines also

Old 10-27-2011, 10:41 PM

Yes, I get spark. It's a steady spark.
Yes, I checked the fuel pressure, and When I turn on the ignition I get around 55 psi, when try to start the engine I get around 60 psi.
I purchased an AC Delco cap and rotor from O'Reillys

Could the spark not be strong enoug?

Old 10-27-2011, 10:41 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

what kind of wires and plugs ?

Old 10-27-2011, 11:02 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Yes, you have spark.. but in these cases it's almost ALWAYS the spark.. just at the wrong time. And it's usually the wires, even sometimes new ones if they're cheap. The spark has to be a snappy blue.. not orange.

Pull the cap, spray inside it with wd40, also around rotor contact

Check the vents at base of the distributor.. .

Old 10-27-2011, 11:11 PM
BF Guru

I was wondering if i could do that i thought wd 40 would make it misfire

makes me wanna take my cap off tomorrow

Old 10-28-2011, 09:37 AM

My plugs are ac delco, not sure what my wires were. Not sure on the color of the spark. When I get home tonight I'll take my cap back off and inspect it, and try the wd40 let it dry and put the cap back on. I'll let ya know what happens.

thanks for the help

Old 10-29-2011, 05:59 AM
dman001948 is an unknown quantity at this point

This may have some input or not, but its an experience I had with the same problem years ago. I had a 1976 Buick and when it rain or run through water no start. I was staring at it one day (Dist is in the front on this model) had the cap off and scatching (sp) my head saying what can it be? Then out of the clear blue I looked a little closer at the dist and underneath the plate are springs that control the advance, I look a little closer (There are holes in the plate so you can barley see the springs, one looked a little funny so with a small screw driver I poke it, it was broken! That was my problem, however there is no way or a mech I knew to get to the springs you had to replace the dist. went down to a junk yard may sure the springs were good, put new points in and she fired right up and never had that problem again. I don't know if the dist in that yr blazer has a like set up with all the new elect now days, plus with the dist located in the rear, you can't see anything very well. So it could be your dist. Just some food for thought.

Old 10-30-2011, 12:27 PM

Got the Blazer started Saturday. There was a strange ticking noise, when I went to rev the engine manually at the carburator, I put my hand on the bracket that holds the coil and got shocked. Could the coil be shortening out?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blazer won't start when wet