2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Book labor time for replacing fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Starting Member
WalkGood is on a distinguished road
Default Book labor time for replacing fuel pump?

What is the "book" labor time to replace a fuel pump on a 1998 Blazer 4x4 4dr w/steel tank?

Old 02-12-2013, 04:45 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

2.3 hours

Warranty time, which is very close to actual time, is 1.5 hours.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Starting Member

Thanks. Can u tell me what source u r using? PepBoys is telling me $488 labor to R&R my fuel pump. I need some "backup" to question them. $310 for ACDelco pump

Old 02-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Those labor times are from the current Chilton Labor Time Guide. I have used Chilton labor guides for many years and have found them to be quite accurate. The Chilton service manuals are worthless though. Mitchell labor guides tend to be a little on the high side. $488 for labor calculates to $212.17 per flat rate hour, (more than double the national average). $310 for an AC Delco (4 door) fuel pump is actually not bad considering you're paying retail price, but they're sure making up for it on the labor!

Old 02-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Starting Member

I am not sure where they came up with $488 labor. I know if they did the job in 1 hr they would charge the book time. Not sure but I think my Long Island NY area is around the $120 to $125 an hr labor rate. And they did charge $90 diagnosis for the "crank-no-start" problem.

At least Pep Boys service does not mark up parts from the price you would pay at their parts dept.

I'll go question them tomorrow when I pick up the car.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:43 AM
Starting Member

BELATED UPDATE:

I went to my public library and used their free AllData access. Alldata shows 1998 4x4 4door metal fuel tank: labor to replace fuel pump is 3.2 hours plus 0.5 hours with a tank shield (which I have a shield). It notes that "Does Not Include: Drain & Refill Fuel Tank". I could not find a separate labor time for Drain & Refill within AllData.

PepBoys "book labor charge" for this job is 4.4 hours @$111.00 per hour. Luckily I found a 10% OFF coupon on their website. Applies towards parts and labor.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:54 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I did mine in my backyard with hand tools and it only took me 1 1/2 hrs. And that is desiring the harness also. Not a hard job

Old 02-25-2013, 11:14 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by newguy
And that is desiring the harness also. Not a hard job
I was in that "rock and a hard place" position. Freezing temps and a major blizzard on its way (dumped over 30 inches on Long Island). If it was warmer weather I'd probably do it myself.

I have desired many things FOR my vehicle. But, never did "desire" a harness! LOL

Old 02-26-2013, 02:02 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by WalkGood
I was in that "rock and a hard place" position. Freezing temps and a major blizzard on its way (dumped over 30 inches on Long Island). If it was warmer weather I'd probably do it myself.

I have desired many things FOR my vehicle. But, never did "desire" a harness! LOL
Should have proof read before posting, meant rewiring

Old 12-05-2017, 07:00 PM
PSS-Mag is on a distinguished road

I'm in that same hard spot now. Blazer is in the shop. Next to my work. I don't even have time to meet up with a buddy to pull it home much less wrench on it. So I had it towed to the shop next door. Literally a block a way. That tow bill blew my mind. ($55) for less than 3/4 a mile! Probably closer to half a mile. Never again for that. Anyway, they called me today said 'fuel pump" which I suspected. Wasn't getting fuel for some reason and couldn't hear the pump running. Checked fuses and swapped relays with no results. Anyway they quoted me $678. I checked prices and I can pick one up before my discounts for $200-$269 locally. So $400 in labor seems a little steep but time and currently no garage and laying outside in the dark in sub freezing temps. Guess I'll pay the $400. Lol

Quick Reply: Book labor time for replacing fuel pump?