2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

brake light warning! Reset

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 06:19 PM
Beginning Member
tery is on a distinguished road
Default brake light warning! Reset

Hey, I popped the brake line going to the rear brakes from the Front all the way back. When it blew, the red brake light and! Lit up on the dash… I got most of the air out of the line after it is fixed and not leaking. But can't figure out how to reset the light so it turns off. Tried the disconnect the battery trick. I have the ABS fuse pulled because that system is not working, and I don't like ABS anyway. But when the fuse was pulled before the Breakline blue, that brake light warning light wasn't on. Anyone tell me how to make that damn thing go off. Thanks in advance. Terry
tgresser@aol.com

Old 08-22-2015, 08:02 PM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

Have you bled the brake lines to get all of the air out? Is your parking brake partially engaged?

Old 08-22-2015, 10:06 PM
Beginning Member
Default will air make the light stay on

I bled the driver's side rear and the parking brake has been inoperable for all the time I've had it, Isn';t there a way to just reset the light or does air in the line actually make the light stay on??
THanaks for the reply,
Terry

Old 08-23-2015, 01:22 AM
Old 08-23-2015, 07:01 AM
Beginning Member
Default Should I have to bleed all four wheels to get the light to go off??

Thanks for the reply
Terry

Old 08-23-2015, 08:30 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

When the line blew, the centering valve did exactly what it was designed to do; mechanically shut off the hydraulic circuit that failed, and illuminate the red brake light. If the master cylinder went dry, there is air trapped in the EBCM. Gravity bleeding each caliper, one at a time, will expel air from all except the EBCM. A quick, firm, jab & release of the brake pedal should center rhe valve and turn the light off. If the pedal is still mushy after the gravity bleed, you will need to perform the automated bleed with a capable scan tool, then bleed each caliper again. You may need to repair the ABS before the automated bleed will work. The automated bleed operates all of the solenoids in the EBCM and moves any trapped air into the steel lines just outside the EBCM, that's why the calipers need to be bled again, (to get the air out of the system).

Old 08-24-2015, 01:42 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for all that great info. The master cylinder never went dry, not even close... But what about when I replaced the line connecting/connected to the proportioning system there under the hood. That likely put air into the ECBM yes??
Thx again ,
Terry

Old 08-24-2015, 08:47 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Very possible.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:33 PM
Beginning Member

What a terrific forum. Thank you all for your help and replies. I bled the right rear and did the quick kick on the pedal..and then just held it firm and a little push and I felt the ECBM reset, light went right out. Seems all good now,
thanks again...what a great forum!!
Terry

Old 08-25-2015, 01:36 PM

Nice work!

Quick Reply: brake light warning! Reset