2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Bypassed passlock fails after 3months

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 09:45 PM
chronic1 is on a distinguished road
Question Bypassed passlock fails after 3months

1998 chevrolet blazer would not start , cut yellow wire and placed resistor in orange and black wire and connected to harness side of yellow wire, went through reset 2 times did not work then it started. 2 times it would not start, i would leave it alone and go back and it would start. About a week ago it failed to start, i replaced the resistor and reset the computer with the 30 min process......nothin . It is def sutting down the injectors, at this point in thinkingof getting a key and switch from dealer, but am wondering if i need to borrow a scan tool( from the friendly weekly tool man that take all my cash)and try the reset. Any suggestions please, I am not sure what resistance is correct also, i have never in the six years i owned it had the original key, if someone can message me on how to get the correct resistance or any help would be appriciated thanx

Old 11-12-2010, 10:19 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

I didn't know you had to bypass passlock if you don't have original key? I got 4 keys for my truck, g/f and 2 friends have a copy, I have the original, g/f has g/m cut key, and I got 2 more at the flee market(cheap keys, don't even have the rubber) which my 2 friends have. all 4 start the truck with no problems and I didn't program the keys or bypass passlock(2001)
I was under the understanding that it only needed to be done for a car starter.

someone more knowledgeable then me will have your answers

Old 11-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like one of the circuits in the ignition switch isn't properly contacting.

Old 11-14-2010, 09:21 PM
Starting Member
g_mike is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 69chevelle
I didn't know you had to bypass passlock if you don't have original key? I got 4 keys for my truck, g/f and 2 friends have a copy, I have the original, g/f has g/m cut key, and I got 2 more at the flee market(cheap keys, don't even have the rubber) which my 2 friends have. all 4 start the truck with no problems and I didn't program the keys or bypass passlock(2001)
I was under the understanding that it only needed to be done for a car starter.

someone more knowledgeable then me will have your answers
i useto have a 2002 sonoma sls and i used the cheap all metal key as a backup a couple times with no issues.
i dont understand why you would need the bypass to use a remote starter but not if you are using knock off keys...????
i havent tried on my 02 jimmy sls with a knock off key.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:20 AM

u do not have to bypass because of key i never had mine either, was just including info. I do know resistor selection is easier with the key

Old 11-15-2010, 10:24 AM

the actual problem is in the theft lock system, it is shutting down the injection system