2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

A/C leak but WHERE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 02:20 PM
okmomw/blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A/C leak but WHERE?

I have a 2000 blazer with an a/c leak. I had a mechanic check it out and dye showed a leak in the condenser so we changed it out. It is still leaking somewhere but it has to be somewhere that the dye does not show up easily. Does anyone have any ideas on where to look? I would appreciate any help.

Old 06-02-2006, 02:56 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: A/C leak but WHERE?

There are a limited number of components in the A/C system. You basically have the condenser (in front of the radiator), the evaporator (inside the HVAC housing), compressor, accumulator (filter/dryer - big silver can), expansion block (orifice tube), and the lines. If it is still leaking down, and you do not see any dye, then it mostlikely is leaking at or near the evaporator. The HVAC housing extends into the engine compartment and has a location that can be opened up (cut out) for inspection of the evaporator. It is on the motor side of the HVAC housing and will be a recess in the plastic case. This is meant to be cut out for cleaning/sanitizing of the evaporator area in the HVAC housing. Before cutting it open, make sure to fully check all of the other components in the A/C system for leaks.

I believe that GM sells a cover for over the inspection hole location for after you cut out the section, but I do not recall what it is.

Old 06-02-2006, 04:17 PM
okmomw/blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

It was the accumulator that we changed out and we also changed the orfice. I will try the evaporator. That seems to be the most likely place for the leak.

Old 06-04-2006, 03:02 PM
Beginning Member
ACWiz is an unknown quantity at this point

You may want to check the evaporator drain tube (beneath the vehicle) for any signs of oil or UV dye. That's the drain that makes water run behind the front passenger side tire when the A/C is operating. In some cases, the evaporator drain will have a trace of UV dye indicating the leak. That's just one of the tips to finding those hard to find leaks. Good luck! Hope this helps!

Old 01-19-2008, 12:34 PM
patchworktruck is an unknown quantity at this point

the bodies of the ht6 compressor found on these are also notorious for a slow leak. Many times, the leak will be on the underside of the compressor body, where it is difficult to detect.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:51 PM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Mine had a leaking valve on the dryer, I recharged my system last year and it made the ball come loose cause it was stuck and now it doesn't leak one bit!!

Old 01-19-2008, 01:14 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Check all the connectors that you can see on the a/c lines. Generally dirt will stick to the oil that leaks out with the refrigerant and will show as black spot of gunk.
A common leak is also at the compressor front seal and the indication is usually a stain across the underside of the hood as the oil is spun off the compressor.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:39 AM
BSchmity69 is an unknown quantity at this point

My compressor was leaking last summer. So i got a new one from autozone and replaced it, pulled a vaccume and recharged it. o, and i also changed the accumelator. it blew nipple hardening air for about 3 weeks and then i had to change the engine. when the mechanic went to reclaim the refrigeant he said here was only 2 oz in the system. so im guessing its the condensor or evapoator. any idea how hard/time consuming it is to do the swap for both and how much $$$ they are?

Old 01-20-2008, 12:43 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

Don't guess, take it to a pro and see what's leaking. If it's the condensor it's not hard to change but if it's the evaporator is more work. I don't know the prices.