2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Blazer wouldn't crank then coded engine light

Old 03-13-2010, 01:33 PM
KRUSHER is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer wouldn't crank then coded engine light

I have a 2001 blazer with 4.3 automatic. Yesterday I went to leave for work and it would not crank, just would turn over. Never tried to hit. holding the gas pedal down didn't help either. The battery started draining so I quit, its been acting like it was going bad. I tried it again this morning and it tried to hit a few times but didn't have enough battery power to spin fast enough. I went and had the battery checked and sure enough it was bad. I bought a new battery and put it on and tried to crank it. after spinning over a few times it started to rumble, then run roughly like it was flooded, then all of a sudden it cleared up and ran fine. It did blow out some smoke when it started running smoother. I revved it up a few times and all seamed fine. I slowly took the RPM's up and all was smooth till just under 3k it sorta was rough and the RPM's dropped slightly. I did this again and then the check engine light came on this time. other than that it ran fine. Guess I'll see going to work tonight. I'll have to see what the code is and post it. Oh i did notice a slight fuel smell around the front too so it may actually have been flooded.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:14 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

:get it scanned first:

have you ever changed the fuel pump?

Old 03-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Starting Member
Schrade is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer

have you ever changed the fuel pump?
Why change the pump? I think it's a stale air freshener.

Do static and dynamic FP tests first, before buying pumps. Dozens are sold every day in this country to replace good pumps.

Old 03-14-2010, 12:48 AM

I got it scanned and it said random misfire on multiple cylinders. they cleared the code, I cranked it up and took the RPM's up. At about 2k it sorta started missing and all the way to 3k at which point it coded the computer again but this time it was blinking. They checked it and the same results, random misfire on multiple cylinders. Cleared it again and drove to work and back, no engine light came on and didn't feel any miss. It could be the plugs and plug wires.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:53 PM

Still running fine, no engine light and no missing that I've noticed.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:59 PM
Starting Member
Schrade is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by KRUSHER
I got it scanned and it said random misfire on multiple cylinders. they cleared the code, I cranked it up and took the RPM's up. At about 2k it sorta started missing and all the way to 3k at which point it coded the computer again but this time it was blinking. They checked it and the same results, random misfire on multiple cylinders. Cleared it again and drove to work and back, no engine light came on and didn't feel any miss. It could be the plugs and plug wires.

Not likely plugs and wires. That would make the same ones misfire - not necessarily every time around, but the same ones none-the-less.

Distributor cap might need butter, cause it's

OR, you might have leaking injectors, which are dousing the plugs' fire RANDOMLY.

Check the cap/rotor, and if they look good, get FP static and dynamic tests done (not hard to do).

Old 03-16-2010, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Schrade
Not likely plugs and wires. That would make the same ones misfire - not necessarily every time around, but the same ones none-the-less.

Distributor cap might need butter, cause it's

OR, you might have leaking injectors, which are dousing the plugs' fire RANDOMLY.

Check the cap/rotor, and if they look good, get FP static and dynamic tests done (not hard to do).
Originally Posted by KRUSHER
Still running fine, no engine light and no missing that I've noticed.

Filled up with 93 octane and seems like it helped alot. Also cap and button are a little over a year old and were replaced with genuine AC DELCO parts.